My 15 year old is having night terrors!!

Does anyone have any advice on how to handle night terrors in teenagers? My 15 year old has had them on and off since he was about 9 years old. Now that he is bigger they are getting harder to handle. Any advice would be welcomed.

luvnmy3guys

Asked by luvnmy3guys at 1:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Teens (13-17)

• Have you thought about maybe having your child see a professional. My friends child had them for years and she had her start seeing a professional and they slowly got better and better. It's a thought, That is the only thing i could think of.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ty yes we have thought about it, they ususally come on when he gets overwhelmed or stressed out over school or football. But thank you for the thought.
    luvnmy3guys

Comment by luvnmy3guys (original poster) at 1:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You've thought about seeking professional help. But have you ever actually done so?

This might be a situation where professional help is needed. If these are triggered by stress then he needs some guidance/help in how to constructively (and in a healthy manner) deal wit stress in order to alleviate his night terrors.

If you have had professional help, and it isn't working. I would talk to the professional working with him and find out if a different method /course of action could be taken. And if they couldn't /wouldn't.. I would be seeking out a different opinion.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 2:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You need to get professional help. Thinking about it and actually doing it are two different things.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 3:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It could be shes having anxiety attacks, my 12yr old son has been having them. I had go to counsler she said he has adhd.
    sherryv07

Answer by sherryv07 at 11:51 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Take em' for prof. help!
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 8:58 AM on Sep. 17, 2010