Crib to a toddler bed?

When do you switch your child from a crib to a bed? My son will be 2 in acouple of days. He doesn't ever try to climb out or anything and he sleeps good. When would he need to transition to a bed?

giovannismom19

Asked by giovannismom19 at 1:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son will be 3 in Oct and we just moved him from his crib to a twin bed a few months ago. He wasn't trying to climb out of the crib so we weren't in a hurry to move him out of it.
    Sillieguze

Answer by Sillieguze at 10:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I guess it depends on the child. I had to take mine out of a crib before he could even walk. He was climbing over the side & sliding down to land on his butt. It made me freak out....

But if depends on the child. I think 2-3 is a good age to get them out of a crib and into a bed though;.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I transfered mine to a bed when she was 2, mostly because we needed the crib for the baby! haha. I'd say now is a good time to switch him since he sleeps fine.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 1:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Im just worried that if he sleeps in a bed that he can get out of he will never want to go to sleep.
    giovannismom19

Comment by giovannismom19 (original poster) at 1:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I always did it when they showed they were tiring to get out. They were both a little over 2 yrs old.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• With my girls, there were no such things as toddler beds. LOL. So, they went straight to a twin-size big girl bed at about 2 or 2 1/2. But, my twin boys, we did up their rooms with little red and blue toddler beds, since they were sharing a room and space of of the essence at the time. They were about 2 yrs old. To keep them in bed, I'd put on "sleepy time" music and they'd go right to sleep. If they played or got out of bed, they knew the music would get turned off. So, for the most part, they just stayed in bed. There were a few evenings I'd have to stay in there to make sure they laid still long enough to fall asleep. Funny how fast they can fall asleep when they aren't moving and playing around while mommy's in the room. LOL.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i think now would be a good time. my kids never tried to get out and they were good sleepers too. around 2ish i put them in toddler beds too. i wanted them to have the "big boy bed" experience, before they went through the "terrible" stage where i would have to continuously put them back into bed all night,lol. they did fine, and loved it
    berlgirl1224

Answer by berlgirl1224 at 2:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son is 2 and has been about to crawl out of the crib for a while now but we keep him in there with the crib tent. I don't trust him able to get up and out as he pleases - this kid has a facisnation with electrical outlets, can turn on and open the oven, can unlock and open all doors inlcuding the front door, and can easily pop off door knob covers. He usually sleeps through the night but God forbid if he was up and roaming the house at night while everyone else was asleep....
    jessicarae787

Answer by jessicarae787 at 2:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son (4th child) is 22 months and crawling out of his crib so this weekend we are transitioning him straight to a twin bed with rails. I wouldn't do it this early if he weren't climbing out. My 2nd child stayed in his crib until he was almost 3. I always thought toddler beds were a waste of money - all of mine transitioned straight to either twin or full size beds.

Answer by missanc at 2:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I bought my daughter hers and gave it to her the morning of her 2nd birthday. We bought her favorite character (Tinkerbell) bedding to go with it and a new pillow. She loved it!
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010