So Long Summer: Do you have any advice for getting a child that is extremely attached to his mother settled on his first day of school?

Answer 10 of CafeMom Team's So Long Summer Questions this Labor Day Weekend and win a Virtual Vacation award for your Answers profile page.

Ask your own, and then link to it from this group post, for some extra sunshine.

Learn more in the Answers Group.

CafeMom Team

Asked by CafeMom Team at 1:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• I wish I did. I was always told by my children to leave and get lost. =(
    itsallabtthem84

Answer by itsallabtthem84 at 1:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would say maybe have them come with you to pick out clothes and a back pack and all of the supplies that they will need. Take them to their new school and walk them around so that they know where everything is like the bathrooms, where they will be eating lunch, the playground and their classroom. Have them meet the teacher. Let them know that you are only going to be gone for a little while, that they will have a great time playing with and making new friends, working on lots of fun projects and learning about all kinds of great things and most importantly that you WILL be coming back to get them. I don't know though next year will be the first time I will have to drop my child off at school so I have no experience with this.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 1:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ask to tour the school before school starts so they will know where their classroom is, bathrooms, cafe etc.
    Mommy_0f_many

Answer by Mommy_0f_many at 1:58 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sit with him for a little bit and just explain to him that he will be fine and reassure him that you will be back soon to get him? Sorry not too much help, havent gone through this yet! GL
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Make sure you go to "meet the teacher" night at school, and take a tour of where they will be doing different activities (cafeteria, playground, computer lab, etc.). They'll meet their new classmates, teacher, see where they will sit, and help quell their fears.

On the first few days, walk them to class so they do not get lost- say good bye, and walk away. Staying only makes it worse for the both of you. The kiddo will be fine!
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I believe that if you tell the teacher what is going on,they'll allow the parent to sit in back until the little one starts to feel comfortable.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 2:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Tuck a pic or a note in your child's lunch. Remind them when you will see them again that day. If they can tell time, give them the time.

Don't disappear while they're distracted by a teacher or classmates - that will just make the separation anxiety worse!
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Take them by the school first to let them get used to the new surroundings, to meet the teachers and some of the kids. Ask them when they are home and in comfortable surroundings what they liked best about the school and if they have any worries. Talk everything over with them but keep a positive tone about going to school the whole time and make sure it is an exciting time! :)
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 2:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't know... I'm hoping that when the time comes our boy will be okay with going to school...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 2:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The best advice I can give is for mom to remain calm and unemotional but loving and use encouraging words the night before to build up the child and when the child leaves for school.
    momof3angela

Answer by momof3angela at 2:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010