How did you get your little one to stop sucking their thumb?

Asked by lovinhurts88 at 10:45 PM on Jun. 18, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Try tabasco sauce - my mom did this with my sister and it worked. Or that stuff that you put on your nails called no bite. She'll have the nasty taste and wont do it anymore.

Answer by Mommy2HAZE at 11:25 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• LOL. Im still trying to figure it out and mine is nine. What is messed up is that she started late! Oh well, hey, I tried spicy stuff, including the nail polish stuff, but nothing worked. she kept licking it and asking for more. Ugghhhh! I did ask the same questions earlier and I was told to try some of the same, and then take her to the dentist if nothing else works. Guess they have a special device they put in the mouth to deter the sucking. Well, good luck!!

Answer by amoremio at 11:38 PM on Jun. 18, 2008

• My 4 yr old sucks her thumb at night, when it bed time, when I lay her down I tell her that there is a Snake under her bed and it will bite her thumb off if she puts it near her mouth, she usually says NO and shoves her whole hand under her pillow and sleeps without it in her mouth, I check on her throughout the night and she is still laying there w/no thumb in her mouth.. I know it sounds mean but I tried EVERYTHING and nothing worked!!

Answer by mykidsmylife06 at 12:35 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• there is a product at CVS you can but to put on her thumb.

Answer by hendrickson at 12:37 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Why? It's not hurting anyone. Thumbsucking is your child's way of soothing himself.... like nail biting or hugging a stuffed animal. I would let it go...

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Jun. 19, 2008