What meds do you take to help you fall asleep?

My 17 year old has insomnia. Her doctor has prescribed so many different sleeping meds. Nothing seems to work.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Health

• nothing, i dont do drugs.
    Anonymous

• Have you tried Unisom over the counter? You can buy it at the drug store. Or has she tried the Rx Ambien?
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It's not "doing drugs" anonymous...Grow up.
    TiffanyLove18

Answer by TiffanyLove18 at 7:32 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My doctor prescribed Elavil, but it is also helps with depression
    Anonymous

• ExcedrinPM. Although, most sleep meds that are over the counter have the same ingredient as Benadryl.   (Diphenhydramine hydrochloride )

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 7:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• it is because youre taking them and they are drugs. :)
    Anonymous

• Xanax
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• What about Tylenol or Advil PM. They seem to help me sleep but not too hard. They are not supposed to be addicting.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thats because drugs just treat symptoms...and these drugs arent working for him....so he needs to look at his lifestyle and see what could be causing the insomnia...is he getting enough exercise? eating right and healthy (this could be a MAJOR influence), stressed?

He needs to work out what the underlying cause is....try to see if you guys can delve deeper to find it.

Good luck
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 8:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I had sleeping issues in highschool. Mine were stress and trama related, but still it was horrible. I tried alot of different things. Muscle relaxers worked well, but then I felt like crap the rest of the day. Now I have a glass of alcohol and sometimes if it gets really bad, a valarian root extract. My second son had sleep problems as an infant, and our ped was at a loss and recomened us to a Naturpathic Doctor, who gave us valarian root. We gave it to him 30 min before bed, and anytime he woke up. It worked well. Perhaps you should talk to a ND and see if they can help. It also wouldn't hurt to ask her doctor if a few ounces of alcohol before bed may help. STAY AWAY FROM MELATONIN, unless you disscuss it with an ND first. I also agree, that finding the underlying cause is needed. An ND can help you there as well.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 8:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008