Crock pot cooking questions

I've just recently discovered crock pot cooking lol...anyway are you making these dishes by putting the meat in the crockpot raw and then adding all the ingredients? Or are you pre-cooking them on the stove/or in the oven?

Apr1l

Asked by Apr1l at 7:33 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Food & Drink

• Yes, your supposed to cook from raw, or atleast the recipes I use do. A good place to find tons of free recipes is www.allrecipes.com
    Lornamay

Answer by Lornamay at 7:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Cook from raw! Oh man, I love my crock pot!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• There is a great group on here called "Crockpot Moms," I tried some great recipes. And yes, you cook the raw meat!
    good2me

Answer by good2me at 7:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Crockpots are the best thing that ever happened for busy moms. There are some great groups here on CM but also there are terrific crockpot cookbooks. We make everything from stew, to pulled pork to pumpikin bread in ours. Always start raw!

In fact, it is the first thing my son ask me how to learn to cook in before he went to college.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:00 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i cook raw or cooked. it depends on how long i have. if i have all day for it to cook i will cook from frozen on low. that usually takes about 10 hours. but if i only have 3 or 4 hours. i will try to get the meat cooked. it takes a while for those things to warm up. so ill cook the meat then add my veggies and stuff so that it basically just blends the flavors. if i have about 6 or 7 hours then i cook raw thawed meat. you can cook raw meat quicker than that you just have to keep it on high. when im not home i would rather it be on low thats why if i dont have a lot of time i cook the meat first
    chevygirl2007l

Answer by chevygirl2007l at 9:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Most times, meats are cooked from raw in the slow cooker, except when you want to brown them first. That improves the flavor of things like roast.
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 4:59 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Most recipes I make with the crock pot - I put the meat in frozen, raw and let the c.p. do all the work! It is a God send for a busy Mom who wants her family to have a home cooked meal!!

http://www.cafemom.com/group/CountryCooking
    MamaDiane

Answer by MamaDiane at 5:44 AM on Oct. 13, 2008