How can I get my 31/2 year old to sleep in her own room all night?

For about a year now she has been getting up at 2 to 3 am and getting in bed with us and finishing off the night. She is a kicker, turner, etc. She is a tiny little thing and takes up our entire king sized bed. LOL!! We have taken her back to her room and about 30 minutes later she comes back. We keep moving her, but it's getting to the point where we are not sleeping nor are we happy within our marriage. Now that DS is in the picture we are harder on him at 4 months because we don't want this to happen and he is always in his room at night and stays there until a bottle and then put back in his crib after his bottle until morning, but with her we have tried everything. It's getting exhausting, so PLEAASE HELLLPPPP!

dolphin1272001

Asked by dolphin1272001 at 2:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I can't help... We are dealing with the same thing here! Good Luck!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Id like to know this as well, my son is 2.5 and comes in our bed usually between 6 and 7am.. I wouldnt mind except like you stated, he moves all over the place, etc.. And since he has started doing it about two months ago, Ive tried putting him back in his room, laying in his room with him until he falls asleep.. But like you said, he stays for a short bit then comes right back in. It hasnt caused trouble between my husband and I.. But I am getting the worst sleep EVER! Hubby dont seem to mind, but my whole body hurts when I wake up from squeezing on the edge of the bed, bc between hubby and son, I have like zero room anymore. My whole body aches throughout the day.. GL and I hope you find your answer!
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 2:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We started to put a blanket on the floor by my side of the bed and told her she could sleep there. She was there for sometime. But at least we were getter sleep. Then a couple of weeks ago we said no more sleeping my Mommy and Daddy's room. Put her in her bed, with her favorite blanket. She has been there since then. Good luck
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• By putting her in her own room to sleep ... and putting her back when she gets up.
    caseyandkids

Answer by caseyandkids at 2:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sounds like my DD, but she's only 2! We just take her back into her room as soon as she comes into our room. And if we're lucky enough to be awake still to hear her feet on the floor coming towards our room, we yell, "GET BACK IN BED!" lol. We've also thought of just shutting her door and putting a monitor in her room and our room. She knows if her door is shut, she needs to stay in her room (but of course she knows how to open it). I hope you figure it out! I know how it feels, we just don't have a second baby to deal with too. Good luck. :)
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 3:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thank you everyone, at least I know I am not alone. We have even gone as far as shutting doors and she just opens them. Matter of fact one night she woke up and couldn't get our door opened and she freaked out and starting welling on the door screaming at the top of her lungs HELP ME HELP ME!! It scared the crap out of both hubby and I we thought someone was after her. She then had us up and running for the door and when we opened it she said Thanks and crawled in our bed and went to sleep. We just looked at each other in complete shock. I don't even know where it stems from to be honest because she used to sleep in her room all night every night. I mean we have a routine 8pm bath time 8:30pm snack time and 9pm in bed with a glass of water and one episode of cartoons. I am just so LOST and Tired.
    dolphin1272001

Comment by dolphin1272001 (original poster) at 3:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Gosh, this makes me so happy to know I too am not alone! Hooray! I have no idea what do to. If anyone comes up with something, please post it here so we can all see! ;) Or maybe we should start a group....hee hee
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• First, don't punish the baby because of your 3 year old.

If she's been doing it for this long, it will take more than just telling her or taking her back. We got a fold out couch for our oldes (3 1/2) to sleep on if she wants to come in. It's one of those you get at bru for like $40 or so, but we got ours at a consignment shop. Anyway, she is welcome to come in, sleep on the couch, but she CAN'T wake us up unless she needs something. I also taught her to gently wake us up by gently rubbing my arm and whispering. That way she doesn't wake us both up. This makes it bearable. The 23 month old never ever comes and sleeps in our room, so just because one does doesn't mean the other will, and you don't need to be "tough" on a baby to not have a habit in a 3 year old. Our 3 year old now only sleeps in our room when daddy isn't home, and I think it's just a security thing. As long as it doesn't affect my sleep, I'm good.
    whiteroses82

Answer by whiteroses82 at 12:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Have no advice :( My 2 yo DS comes over around that time too
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:48 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• my 3.5 year old does this too. I also have a 4 month old & I don't let her sleep in the bed with us, but my 3.5 year old did until she was 2.5
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 4, 2010