is this possible some type of sensory issue?

my son, 28 months old, for the past couple of weeks, is obssessed with climbing in the bathtub whether we are in the bathroom w/ him or not. He turns on the water by himself and with the cup we use for rinsing, he fills it up and dumps it over his head. He kinda freaks out a little gasping and screaming , giggles and does it over and over and over and over. He did the same thing when we were getting ready to leave the house. He ran up to his water table and dumped water on his head. Is this typical? I mean he does this obssessively lately.

Owl_Feather

Asked by Owl_Feather at 2:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Kids' Health

• Could be a sensory issue, but not necessarily in a bad way - he may just like water. Most toddlers love water play, so maybe just giving him more opportunities for water play would satisfy his 'need' to dump water over his head? You could also introduce him to some new ways to play in water by giving him some new toys (anything that will hold or squirt water will work) and that may redirect him from dumping it on his head all of the time. You could also introduce him to some new, non-water things that will provide the wet play feeling, but in a slightly different medium, like playing in pudding or whipped cream at the kitchen table.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 4:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• continued: FYI I'm not focusing on the preventatives in this post, but I can close the bathroom in the main bedroom; the hallway bathroom I will not close because my cats litter box is in there and it wont fit anywhere else in the house. No room for a baby gate, the inflatable tub knob covers I've seen online wont work with the location of the knobs, I attempted using doorknob covers but they keep popping off. It's become a struggle getting him out of the tub. If he could spend all day pouring water over his head he would!
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't really know much about sensory issues but that does seem kinda weird... i would bring it up with his pediatrician :-/ my son loves washing his hands and splashing water but he does not like it pouring over his head... hopefully you get some better answers :P interested to know what u find out also cause i've never heard/seen a kid like that :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think he's probably just a water baby and loves to play in it. It doesn't really seem like it's anything to worry about.
    .JessicaRabbit.

Answer by .JessicaRabbit. at 2:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Does he have any other repetitive behaviors? Does he make eye contact with you? Any other behaviors that seem abnormal?
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• To be honest dreainCO I dont want to bother getting the pediatrician involved. She is a chart-dependant doctor and if I bring up something like this, the first thing out of her mouth will be "red flag for autism!" lol.
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yes he does make eye contact. Only thing a little "off" is he is a bit speech delayed for his age. Very few 2 word sentences
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 2:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• thank you mom2aspclboy! great advice! I have been eyeing the thomas and friends water playset.....
    Owl_Feather

Comment by Owl_Feather (original poster) at 4:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sounds like he just might be a water baby. is he seeing a speech therapist? if so bring it up in the next session.
    sammygrl77

Answer by sammygrl77 at 8:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010