Is it weird to have a rich fantasy life?

Meaning, I have a life. I work, I am a mother to 2 kids and I have a good relationship with my husband. I'm happy but I could be happier. In my spare time, when I'm alone, I imagine (like a video that plays in my head, the same way a writer would visualize a scene she's about to write) that I'm with this guy I fantasize about, a famous actor on a television show. That we're together, we have kids together, just a totally different life. I've always had a vivid imagination and imagined I was a character in a book I liked (Harry Potter, Baby Sitters Club) when I was bored, but this is bordering on obsession. Life seems bleak sometimes without my 'alternate life'. How weird is this? Has anyone else ever gone through something like this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Relationships

• dream all you can dream. Its not weird at all to fantasize about something like that. What person doesn't dream of things like that? OK,fine, I will tell you. I had myself married to Mel Gibson once, lol.
    Anonymous

• I do think it's normal to imagine it, but since your imagination is so strong, why not put it to use? Write a romance novel, sell it, make money, and get that life! lol. I've tried writing books but I always get writer's block. You should try it! It sounds like you'd do fantastically.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 7:42 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I agree with KatieBatey. It sounds like you'd make a great writer!
    Anonymous

• lol, i usually fantasize about ways i can get to that life.
    chyna_doll

Answer by chyna_doll at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It's harmless unless you actually decide to pursue the fantasy. I lot of people have fantasies. Probably why TV is so popular. Always wondering what other people's lives are like. lol I have to go... I'm going to go watch desparate housewives :).
    Jessica_Izzy

Answer by Jessica_Izzy at 8:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I personally think you are playing with fire here. Not because you might walk out on your family to pursue this celebrity, or anything like that. But rather because you are throwing away your one and only shot to live your REAL liife to the fullest, to enjoy it for all it's worth, to savor it, to love it, to be fuflly present in it as it unfolds before you. Instead of distracting yourself from reality with silly and elaborate fantasies, why not devote your time and energy to appreciating what you really do have. I can only speak for myself, but when I am taking my last breath, I want to know that I lived and loved as well as I could. I would be dissapointed in my life if I died having spent a large portion of my life wrapped up in a fantasy that could never possibly exist.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 9:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• fantasies are healthy and help us make it through so much in life. Having a rich fantasy life is a wonderful thing. I have it. I love it. I wouldn't give it up for anything. Enjoy it. Embrace the joy it bring you.

Answer by admckenzie at 10:06 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thank you all so much for your replies! I thought I was strange but I guess what I do isn't uncommon. Nice to know I'm not alone. And I actually used to love to write, maybe I'll try picking it up again.
    Anonymous