When should I start my daughter reading?

She is about to be 5 in October.

Should she already know how to read?

When should I start her trying to read on her own or working on books together?

Oh, and BTW... she has just started Pre-K. Late birthday.

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• She should not necessarily know how to read but she could be taught to read at this age. My 5 year old and 4 year old can read simple stories and read my site words. They know all of there sounds so it was simple to move on to combining them into reading words. Never a better time than the present.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 2:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• you should start by teaching her the sounds of all of the letters and by reading to her everyday
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 2:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• When my son was a little over four I taught him his alphabet and sounds, then we moved onto the 100 sight words and continued on from there. I read to him everyday and we would pick one book and read it everyday for a week. Before I knew it, he could read Hop on Pop and I'll Teach My Dog 100 Words.... He can read the TV guide, street signs...all of the streets in the neighborhood... LOL..
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 2:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• She should be well on her way by now. But, since she isn't, alphabet flashcards are a great way to start. There are also flashcards with beginner words on them. There are age appropriate workbooks in just about anyplace that sells books. All the things I mentioned are really cheap. So, no major expense necessary. If still too expensive, make your own.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 2:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think most kids in pre-K will still be working on pre-reading skills, but if she seems ready to move beyond that then go for it. Work on the sounds that the letters make. When she has those mastered you can move to the next step of sounding out simple words and recognizing sight words. Keep reading to her, and when you feel she is ready to attempt it with your help you can read together. I think it is the norm now for kids to be reading a little by the time they finish kindergarten.

TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 2:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Honestly..I wasn't "taught". I was read to and I watched a lot of Electric Company. LOL I was reading well at 3. My son learned to read in Kindergarten. He was read to and watched some shows too. I worked with flashcards to get him to know the letters, but, never taught him to read. He was the highest reader in 1st and 2nd grades. So, it will be ok.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• don't feel bad, she's not behind, just keep reading to her as much as you can and helping her with sight words or just anything you see around the house, town, etc she'll pick it up before you know it. Preschool and Kindergarten is where they really work on letter sounds and putting words together and reading. Have u seen the show WordWorld? It is AWESOME at teaching little ones words and letter sounds, my 3.5yo has learned several words from this show, i didn't even realize she KNEW them already but she read them all by herself when i wrote them out for her, not just seeing them on the show :)
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh yeah, don't feel bad... our Kindergarten teacher informed us they won't even learn to write until first grade, or read for that matter....So don't worry....have fun, it is easy for them to learn when it feel like fun, me and my son made up word games and stuff.
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 3:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• honestly, she should already know the basics if you ask me. My DD is going to be 3 soon & she knows many 2, 3, & 4 letter words. She can write all of her letters etc. You need to start her right away if you ask me.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• every place is different. my kids had been going to preschool when they were three, i just moved and found out to my youngest horror, she won't be goin until she is four! as far as the reading it really depends on you. how many books do have for her to read? i ended up with these book called sight word books they only have between 10 to fifty words through the book and most of them are the same words. the kids found these moveis at the library called sightwords and that helped my youngest two read. my oldest she read her first book after the first year of preschool. my middle she's the only one in in her class who can read. and my youngest she can only read afew words. just give the kid some time and plenty of books. we spent the whole summer at the library.
    noel1978

Answer by noel1978 at 5:29 AM on Sep. 4, 2010