how many times do you belive you should move your kid around from house to house and school to school before it is considered detrimental to his mental health and stability?? adult content

alllllll opinions welcome. lots of judgement needed.

Mrs_Chris_Pukt

Asked by Mrs_Chris_Pukt at 2:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• We've moved around a lot, mainly because we were in property management for a number of years so had to move from property to property if needed. However, our kids have always gone to the same daycare -- I now drive clear across town even though it's inconvenient, just so they can continue to go to the same daycare and my DS can attend the same school. Now we are renting and staying put until we can buy a house!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have a cousin with 2 sons and in the last year they have moved 3 times 2 times into diffrent guys houses and once to their grandmas. I cant even count total throughout their lives how much they have moved. The oldest is 14 now and hates school and has an awful attitude and no respect for his mom. The 10 year old suprisingly is a really good kid. That being said there are alot of military families who do make it work. I think it depends on the situation from what I have seen.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't think it's all that bad. As a kid, my dad was in the Army and we moved A LOT! I would start the year in one school and end in another most of the time. Aside from when he retired when I was 11, I was at the same school for 1 1/2 years at the most.
    It was nice, I met so many people. Sure, I had to leave friends and make more, but I was able to keep in touch with the others through letters. I got to meet more people and see more places than most kids did.
    Kiwismommy19

Answer by Kiwismommy19 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't think there is a number. It would depend on a LOT of things! I mean most times it's better for the child that they move than not...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well this may pertain to some military families..so I would say its not detrimental to his stability if they have a strong supportive family to help them cope with the moves. It would be nive for a child to be able to complete a full school year in each location but not always possible. What Im trying to say is thte family life would determine if multiple moves are detrimental.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 2:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I moved around a TON as a kid. It teaches you how to adapt- no ill affects from moving here.

My little ones have moved around a lot as well, but for other reasons- mainly to escape our abuser. It's been hard on them, not the moving, but the running. We've been in one place for over a year, and they are finally settling in.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I went to twenty eight different schools in twenty different school districts, and i was fine.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 2:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my bf has been moved from his moms home to his dads and from school to school, and he was a bad child he robbed a shitload of places, he got in the wrong crowds in differnt schools, he even had bad grades to!
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 2:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think if a child is never allowed to "settle" in, make friends, participate in sports/activities both in and out of school, then I would be concerned about their well-being. HOWEVER, much of how a child feels about moving is on the parents! Parents need to communicate with their children, explain WHY they are moving, allow the child to particiapte in packing/unpacking, and decorating their own space/bedroom, and be allowed to join groups/activities in order to make friends, develop consistency, and feel like a member of the school and community. Many sports groups have national chapters/affiliations, so a child that moves frequently can find a different chapter of the same program wherever they and next...like Boy Scouts, soccer, baseball, cheerleading, tennis, etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• it depends on your son. my family moved around a lot and i haven't had any issues with it now that i'm 23, but my sister is having a lot of issues. i don't know if her's is just a cop out for things that aren't going right in her life
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 2:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010