Daughter having problems in 1st grade

My daughter's teacher tells us that she is not following directions in class and often talks out of turn and interrupts her while she is teaching. But, she is doing well academically, getting high marks on her school work while getting bad marks for her behavior. We have already met once with the teacher to discuss this and she gave us some suggestions but this behavior continues. I think my daughter is not even aware of what she is doing, she believes she is doing fine in class. Has anyone else had a similar problem? If so, how did they deal with it?

myrrha68

Asked by myrrha68 at 7:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I have found with my daughter that she is easily distracted by her surroundings. The teacher in 1st grade moved her around a lot in the room till she finally was with a group that helped her stay at task on hand. She gets bored real easy if she already knows something or it just doesn't interest her. I think this year in 2nd grade she does not seem as outspoken and pays attention more.
    susan220

Answer by susan220 at 7:52 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• some schools will let you sit in the class with them if they are having some difficulties... maybe come for an afternoon and sit with her and help... you would probably need to bring treats for when class is over so her friends don't ask too many questions or tease her, causing more problems
    Ambreelulu

Answer by Ambreelulu at 8:10 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It could be a phase. My daughter is going through something similar. Her parents and I agree to just stay consistent.
    Patrina1981

Answer by Patrina1981 at 10:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My son had the same problem, but he turned out to be ADHD. Please dont think that I am inferring that she might have ADHD! I did find that when I took my son off of sugary cereals in the a.m. and replaced with proteins and complex carbs, he did fantastic. I watched his lunch and dinners during the week and we celebrated with something more sugary on Fridays and maybe Saturdays. Im not sure what her diet is, its just what I know helped with my chatter, busy box son :) I would say though, DONT go to school with her and spend the day there as mentioned by another mother, no offense mom! I just did that a few times and my son acted up more because it seemed to be viewed as a reward for bad behavior. Of course they want us around more and as soon as they catch on to them getting more attention for bad behavior, it gets ugly.
    Momof3many

Answer by Momof3many at 3:20 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Now I am no expert and my little boy has some behavior issues too. (not so much at school as it is at home) But make sure she is getting 10 to 11 hrs of sleep each night. It has been reported that children that do not get enough sleep have been mis diagnosed as ADHD.
    I found that positive reinforcement works very well with my kids.
    mommyof3COJ

Answer by mommyof3COJ at 1:41 PM on Oct. 14, 2008