My son is going to be 1 the end of this month and is EBF. I want to know if and when I should start weaning. He is in daycare during the day. I didnt BF my first so I am cluesless

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 2:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• the earliest recommended weaning time frame is 2 years- though I believe in child led weaning.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 2:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There is not set age to stop. It comes down to when you and your child is ready.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 2:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You don't have to wean. He'll do it himself when it's time. You really don't wanna "just do it". It should happen AFTER he's gradually reduced his length and number of nursing sessions and gradually increased his solid intake. You can't just jump completely off one and on to the other.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i didnt BF but i did just take formula awayfrom my son along with a bottleas soon as he turned 1, he cryed a bit but he forgot about the bottle!
    MommieOfOnly2

Answer by MommieOfOnly2 at 3:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Keep in mind, breastfeeding and bottle feeding are very different.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 3:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Breast and bottle can not even be compared... there are health benefits to breast feeding for as long as a child does so. Bottles, on the other hand, cause damage- which is why it is recommended that you remove them from the equation.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 3:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010