• In the Spotlight:

My 1 year old is literally scared to death of people!!!

Since my son has been born he's always been frightened of people holding him, even his own family. I've heard it will get better as he gets older but its gotten worse. He has never left with anybody nor stayed the night. If someone comes up to us within 5 feet, he starts screamin. He see's the neighbor pull in next door when he's outside and he screams. His grandmother thinks its because I breastfeed him, I disagree, but I am in desperate need of how I can get him to enjoy people. I know it just wont happen overnight, but he is only used to me and my parents, and my grandma because I live with my parents. Any ideas ladies?

babygirl9304627

Asked by babygirl9304627 at 7:38 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Obviously he's not "literally" scared to death......you still have him.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 7:50 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• what in the world does breastfeeding have to do with it?! Grannies! Mine warned me not to raise my arms above my head as that would strangle the baby!
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:12 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• let him scream... try to get someone u trust and he doesnt know to hold him or be around him... it will get better...
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 8:37 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I always have heard that you shouldn't force them to be held by anyone. If you want them to get close to someone you invite them over to play with him for a while, let him warm up to them. I wouldn't over react about the screaming, just tell him in a calm voice that everything is fine, and go on with what you were doing.
    Good luck!
    Underwoodwife

Answer by Underwoodwife at 9:01 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• You'd think he was dying by the way he was screaming. I just really need a break, I'm a single mother and it would be nice to get a good nights sleep for once. I would never do it until he's fully comfortable being with someone he trusts. I know some kids are frightened of people but he's really terrified, I just dont think its normal.
    babygirl9304627

Answer by babygirl9304627 at 9:09 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I have a 19 month old and she was the same way. People looked at her and she would start crying. Over the past 2 months or so, she has become alot more social. And the people she sees often she is now running up to them and giving them hugs. It will pass sweety just have patience.
    proudmommy0601

Answer by proudmommy0601 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 12, 2008