Medicaid is for people who can not afford medical insurance...why is it considered "public assistance"?

I receive medicaid, and so does my daughter. I do not receive it for free. I pay a premium twice a year, and I have co-pays for ALL of my meds. I look at it as a form of medical insurance for low-income people. Why do many consider it "public assistance"?

The same with section 8 housing. It is NOT free housing. It is a program that pays a portion of your rent based on your income. It is NOT determined by how many children you have, as a lot of people believe.

WIC is a nutrition program that many middle-income, working-class mommies qualify for.

Why are these programs considered "public assistance"?

Fallaya

Asked by Fallaya at 3:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Out of pocket insurance for my Husband, myself & my Son costs us $1,200 per month & I pay co-pays & prescription co-pays. So, theoretically if you are receiving assistance from the Gov't for medical Insurance it is "Public Assistance". Just what the word says. Personally I think everyone should be insured and if you can't afford it then you have to get it however way you can. It is just so sad that other countries can offer free medical but here in the US we can't. My Parents are retired & need tons of prescriptions and are currently paying out of pocket because they went over the Medicare limit per year. It is really a sin that even our elderly aren't cared for but we can send tons of money elsewhere in the world for aid. That stinks.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 3:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• On the flip side, people could interpret it as the public is assisting the recipients through taxes. Imagine what you would pay for housing, WIC foods, and health insurance without the public assisting you.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 3:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I guess because it assists the public, meaning helps those that need it whether it is free or at a "reduced price".
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 3:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• because they are assistance FOR the public payed BY the public. our tax dollars go to support these programs. Does not mean you are a bad person or lazy or anything for needing them. My kids are on Medicaid and i am SO thankful for it and as my mom puts it we all pay enough in income taxes/sales taxes/other taxes to pay for these programs so why not use it when you need it? How do u get it too with paying a yearly premium? is that a new program or only in your state?
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is considered Public Assistance, because the part that you don't pay is funded with taxpayer dollars. The same way that people that cannot afford the food they need get food stamps, and they are paid for with Tax payer dollars. I don't think it makes anyone lazy or anything like that because they need temporary help in any form. However, i will say that the Public Assistance system is often abused by those who do not truly need the assistance they get.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Totally off you question..sorry. My son gets free Medicaid because I make next to nothing. Can you get it even if you aren't pregnant? I need it...I can't afford a doctor.

And i imagine because some people like me get it free is why they feel that way.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 3:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Public Assistance is just a term to generalize it, I think. Its assistance to the public that needs it? Yes, you're paying co-pays and deductibles, but you're still getting assistance from the government. Sounds like a lame answer, but I can't think of a better way to explain it.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• it is considered public assistance because the money that medicaid uses to pay for he other half comes from tax payers i think

cielo1

Answer by cielo1 at 3:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Because it is funded by taxpayer (aka the public) dollars.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 3:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Medicaid requires tax dollars to make it affordable. Thus without public taxpayer funds Medicaid cannot function.
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 4:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010