STARTED RCIA BEFORE I MOVED AND WOULD LIKE TO START AGAIN

I STARTED RCIA BEFORE I MADE MY CROSS COUNTRY MOVE AND WOULD LIKE TO START AGAIN BUT IM UN-SURE AS TO HOW TO GOING ABOUT IT. IM NOT SURE IF MY FIANCEE WOULD SUPPORT ME GOING ABOUT IT. HOW TO I APPROACH HIM ABOUT IT AND HOW WOULD I GO ABOUT RESTARTING MY RCIA?

crouchingmommy

Asked by crouchingmommy at 3:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• You need to find a parish in you area that is running RCIA classes. Call around to some parish offices and see. They might be able to direct you to a class.

You need to talk to you fiancee about your beliefs before you get married. It's important to be on the same page. You can marry someone outside your faith but it can make things like raising children harder. Ask him is he believes in God and if he has ever been to church. Maybe he would want to take RCIA with you? Just because you take RCIA doesn't meant you have to join the Catholic Church. Hopefully this will be a time when the two of you can grow closer together through your shared faith.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 4:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Start by finding a church they can tell you what you need to do. I agree with Tobysmommy you need to have a serious talk with your finance now before you get married, it won't get easier later. Maybe he could attend some of the RCIA activities with you even if he doesn't want to participate just to see what it's about.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Honest question.... What's RCIA?? Thanks ;o)

Morgain

Answer by Morgain at 10:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• RCIA=The rite of christian initiation for adults. its classes people can take usually to convert to catholicism, but you can also take them just to learn about the religion.

Nsbgirl

Answer by Nsbgirl at 2:34 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Call one of the parishes near you. Maybe you can talk to some people who know about each of the churches in your area. My husband went through RCIA in a parish where the Religious Ed director was promoting her own ideas that were not in agreement with the Church's teachings. We had just come from an evangelical charismatic church, so we had a problem with the unorthodox ideas she was sharing with the group. I was raised Catholic and had returned to the Church about a year earlier, so I knew that what she was saying did not match up with Catholic teaching. We learned later that there was a Church at the Newman Center on campus that is very right on. I think he would have had a much better experience there. The silliness that he was told confuses him to this day.

I agree that it is so important to be on the same page with your SO if you are going to be married. GL!
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 12:34 AM on Sep. 5, 2010

• my fiancee and i are on the same page about RCIA. what i meant about approaching him about it is we are getting married and i want to get married in the church but as he is not catholic and with no interest in converting as of now. and if im not mistaking you have to agree to certain things before you get married. am i right??
    crouchingmommy

Comment by crouchingmommy (original poster) at 4:54 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• When my husband and I got married in the church he was a Lutheran, he had to agree to raise our children Catholic. To get the most accurate info you should talk to the priest or RCIA director at your nearest parish.
    erdavh

Answer by erdavh at 12:08 PM on Sep. 9, 2010