Helping others

How many of you have helped other families that you have met on cafemom? I have heard of several instances where people have sent gifts or money orders or something to help a struggling mom that they met on here. If you did send something did you later feel taken advantage of? Can't imagine sending money to someone I only know from the internet. So many scammers out there in real life. Anyone glad they helped another mom out that they met online and still happy they did it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Hmmmm never heard of any stories like that. I however lent two people money yesterday. No large amounts or anything like that but when I went to pay for some drinks for me and the little ones I realized that I have given away too much so I asked the lady to take my drink off the order. Then she gave me a free one. I kind of felt like it was a return of being nice to others.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:32 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have yet to meet someone on Cafemom that I have helped financially. However, I have done so on some other sites I belong to. I never send anyone more than I am comfortable with losing, and honestly, if they give me a sad story and convince me to give them something, and they lied about it. That is on them not me. I was doing something good, so I won't feel bad about trying to help someone out.
    And, yes, I was always tickled about my decision to help someone else!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 3:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It depends on how well you know the person. I personally am friends (in real life now thanks to cafemom) with a wonderful person I met when I first started on the site. I didn't help her before I knew her and wouldn't probably help anyone I didn't know because I can't afford to myself, but now that we have known one another for so long I would help her in a heartbeat and have had to recently. If it was sending someone a few dollars to their paypal... I have before. It was a story of a baby who passed and the family wanted to get him a headstone but couldn't afford it. Was I scammed? Probably. But you know what? I felt great for what I did, even if it was only $5. So I suppose I am saying... if it isn't something huge, sure I would help because if I desperately needed it enough to ask total strangers... I would want someone to do it for me.
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 3:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have helped a mom on here but it was just coupons. They were great coupons! $3 off a nuk bottle! My DD hated the Nuk bottles and another mother needed them so I mailed them to her. However, there are a few moms on here I have been chatting with for a very long time and if they were in need and I had enough to share you bet I would help them out!! Plus there are ways to help moms with stuff other than money, you could send gift card, coupons, or hell just some hand me downs!
    Yes there are dishonest people out there but its pretty easy for me to distinguish. For example if they tell you they need diapers and you offer to send them diapers and they insist on cash then you can probably figure out they dont need diapers.
    SaturnsMom

Answer by SaturnsMom at 3:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have helped out a mom who lives locally that I met through CM. I'm sure there are plenty of scammers out there, but if I can help someone and they ask I'm probably going to do it.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have helped a mom sort of on here her and I send things back and forth all the time before we started doing that though I sent her food and stuff never money and I am hoping we are going to meet soon
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010