Does your 3 or 4 0r 5 year old embarass you in public?

someone was just scaring me, telling me that my son is probably going to really embarass me when he gets older by saying rude things to people..I know their just children, but some of what her son was saying was just really rude and not nice at all.
has your children ever embarassed you really bad? what did they do?
she said enjoy your time when they cant talk.
ugh now she made me like dread!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• Nope, not really. I teach my kids how to behave in public, and if they act up, we leave. Simple as that. I just don't put up with it at all.
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 3:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son pointed at a guy once and said, "look mom, that guy has a really small head". So embarassing...
    CarlyCo

Answer by CarlyCo at 3:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Isn't that what they are supposed to do? My biggest is when they are using the restroom with me and they announce to the world that I am either pooping or have my period which they do not understand and they are like" eeeewwww Mommy what is that" or "Mommy you are bleeding".
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No but my 25 year old husband does, though.

We were in Giant and he picked up two honeydews and held them to his chest and goes, "Do you like my melons."
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 3:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• the large woman in the grocery store eating a candy bar when our little one said "wow that GUY likes to eat!"
    or when lilly actually asked a man on the bus(who took up 3 seats) how did you get soooo big?
    or when we were school shopping and she yelled uhoh mom i think i sharted!

yes my kids have made me turn bright red a hundred times and im sure theres a hundred more to come.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 3:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Don't worry, you're the one who controls if they are going to embarass you in public or not. It's all about respect. Of course they're just kids and they have their moments, but there are normal kids with their moments and spoiled brats!!

Yes, she has done something to embarass me but she's never been rude or talked like a brat to anyone!!

What she did was pretty funny now that I think about it. And kind of gross really...:P

She pooped in a public kiddy pool when she was 2 and they had to get all the kids out to clean it. It stayed closed for 2 days!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 3:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• LOL erinwhitt, that's something my dh would do @@ my kids embarrass me sometimes but that's what kids do, its no big deal IMO :P and like 1st poster said, i've taught them how to behave in public and if they act up we leave, that simple. My son was screaming and crying in Walmart yesterday while i was trying to get groceries so i let him stand in the basket part of the cart and hurried and got what i needed then left, if other people can't deal with a crying kid then too bad for them :D
    DreainCO

Answer by DreainCO at 3:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Not really, not yet. But my son can't pronounce the word "kiss" yet, it sounds like "kick." Sometimes, when I'm trying to kiss him, he'll yell "Mama, don't kiss me" only it sounds like "Mama, don't kick me!" I'm afraid someone is going to hear that and accuse me of child abuse. I really hope his speech improves soon, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 3:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You have to start very early, training your children what is okay to do and say in private. That's how they will behave in public. Also, you will need to be very careful about what you do and say yourself, because children learn about as much from observing how their parents behave as they do from what we actually try to teach them. I don't recall any of my 3 children having ever embarrassed me in public. Children will do and say childish things, even with the best of teaching, but those kinds of things were not embarrassing to me.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 3:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010