Any tips for potty training my daughter?

She has had no real interest until now. She is 2 1/2. She has only peed on the potty twice. Any ideas? My son potty trained himself at 12 months when he took off his diaper and just went lol. I'm so lost!

kjbennett26

Asked by kjbennett26 at 3:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just say no more more diapers during the day. If you feels she is ready. and don't go back. She will have accidents but it does help her learn what she needs to be looking for. Good luck
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• make it fun fun fun.sing, dance, or whatever it takes.And reward the attemps that are successful.Don't punish for accidents.If you make it fun, she will be very willing.
    evelynwest

Answer by evelynwest at 4:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Take it easy and don't push her, the last thing you want is for her to be afraid of it or angry about it. But it sounds like you're doing that already. Come up with a reward system that works for her - I know people have used a sticker charts where when she earns enough stickers she gets something special. For my twin girls we used regular sized marshmellos. They got 1 for going pp in the potty, 2 for going pp and having dry pants and 5 for poop in the potty. It worked great for us and when she has a lot of success, and goes MOST of the time to the potty then pick a week switch her to panties and take her potty every hour. My girls were totally trained after that transition in about a week and a half.
    mrspierce06

Answer by mrspierce06 at 4:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• This is what I did with my daughter. Worked wonderfully! Took two full days off of work. Kept her home and naked the whole day. Kept a potty chair in the living room. Set a timer for 20 min. Every 20 min I sat her on whichever potty was closest. We'd read a book or play with something for a min. If she peed or pooped she got a sticker for her chart. If she didn't go, no sticker. If she peed on herself I wouldn't get mad, I'd just clean it up and say "oops! That goes in the potty!" After 48 full hours she was trained and never had an accident. We worked on night time training a few months later. But with that, I would just put her on the potty before she went to bed and then before I went to bed a few hours later. That worked great for her, but my boy is a completely different story.....
    Aingls

Answer by Aingls at 4:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Make sure you give her lots of praise and tell her how proud you are when she goes in the potty. I would also recomend the panties only idea, accept I use the plastic pants over them to contain at least a little of the mess when they have accidents.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Go out and let her pick out 2 pair of "PRETTY PANTIES" tell her she can wear them as long as she goes potty in the big girl potty. then when she does for a few days let her pick out a few more. If she has an accident in her "pretty panties" take them away and she will get upset and want them back. tell her we dont potty in our pretty panties and wait a day or so and let her go in the toilet. then give them back to her!!! My mom did it with me and my SIL is doing this with her 2 year old and it has worked so far! (put them in a diaper at night for a while though) lol I have not gotten to that stage yet but mine will be a little harder because I have a boy lol no pretty panties there! GL!
    Alysia_Moore

Answer by Alysia_Moore at 4:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I learned taking diapers and pullups away cold turkey was a great way! They really hate cold wet undies and they learn quicker... All 3 of mine learned within a weekend of wetting undies...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The "treat" reward system does not work because my MIL lives in our cul-de-sac and feeds her "treats" constantly. (Yeah...thats a whole other post). I have heard the naked thing before and may give that a whirl :) i also have bought 6 pairs of panties so she can feel the difference. I love the help mommies! Thank you!
    kjbennett26

Comment by kjbennett26 (original poster) at 4:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• EDIT!!! I also have an 18 month old that thinks the potty is a toy ....grrrrr
    kjbennett26

Comment by kjbennett26 (original poster) at 4:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010