Kidney stones

I'm 7.5 months pregnant and went to a walk in clinic yesterday because I thought maybe I had a kidney or blatter infection. They ran some tests then sent me to the hospital. Turns out I have a bad UTI and kidney stones. I've never had either before. Anyone else had this while they were/are pregnant??

CarlyCo

Asked by CarlyCo at 4:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Hmmmmmmmm No, I hope someone has some better answers for you. I have had UTI but that does not seem like a big deal compared to the kidney stones. I hope that you are able to get them under control and do not cause to much discomfort.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Not stones but I had bad UTI's.. Not fun. Drink sugar free blueberry juice for the uti and pineapple for the stones. Blueberry has natural antioxidents to fight the uti and pineapple is acidic and breaks down the stones. OUCHY, good luck momma
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 4:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I didn't have them while I was pregnant, but be very careful. It can cause preterm labor. I developed them when I was pregnant but nobody knew about it until my DD was about 4 months old. It was horrible I thought I was having contractions the pain was worse then labor. I found out a had non passable stones and I had 3 surgeries in a little over a month. I stillhave 3 in my right kidney and 2 in my left. Once you get stones you will have them for the rest of your life. If you keep yourself hydrated it helps alot. Once I got pregnant with DS I had to go to a urologist as well as a OB and I was high risk, (for other reasons as well) My stones also caused a Infection in my kidneys while pregnant and I had to monitored in the hospital for 5 days while hooked to strong antiobiotics so I would lose the baby. I was fine the rest of the pregnancy. They are rough to have, and I could write more but it is cutting me off.
    dolphin1272001

Answer by dolphin1272001 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you EVER have any questions to just message me I have been through it all with kidney stones.
    dolphin1272001

Answer by dolphin1272001 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thank you dolphin1272001... Much appriciated. :)
    CarlyCo

Comment by CarlyCo (original poster) at 4:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had a bad kidney infection when I was about 7 mo along. It probably would have gotten worse (stones) if I didnt get the meds when i did. I did find out WHY I got it tho, too many TUMS!!!!! I had no idea that taking too many antacids could cause this so now I am spreading the word lol
    KaRaBaSsEtT

Answer by KaRaBaSsEtT at 7:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I developed stones at 16 wks in my 1st pregnancy. It was HORRIBLE. I had to be in & out of the hospital from that point on and had stents put in my kidneys as well ( they were about as painful as the stones, just in a different way!) I was on pain meds for a long time & was really worried about that, but felt I had no choice it was so bad. I did not go into early labor thank goodness, but my obgyn did induce me 2 wks early because of them. My son was born w/out any complications. I had 2 lithotripsies (blasting the stones w/lasers) after he was born. I swore I would never try to get pregnant again, but that passed & thank goodness w/ my 2nd son I didn't have nearly as rough of a time. I passed a few small stones, but after what I went through the first time that was pretty easy. I did have x-rays before I got pregnant again just to see what the stone situation was so I knew I did have some small ones left. Good luck!
    happymama2D

Answer by happymama2D at 3:57 PM on Sep. 4, 2010