sending soup to school......

My little boy is gonna be a backpack swinger, for sure. Is there a particular brand of container/thermos thing I can really trust? he is desperate to bring pea soup (a house favorite!) to school next week for lunch. his backpack was a gift from his great aunt (personalized and expensive) and I cannot risk it smelling like split peas til June.

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 4:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Thermos brand is the brand we've always found to work best in my house.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 4:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• the thermos brand ones, traditional metal. then put it in a ziplock just to be on the safe side.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My family never found one that was spill proof I hope you have better luck then we did.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 4:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Ehhhhh...how old is he? I know I just dont take chances with things. Maybe he can have it when he gets home as a snack? Plus, if I know kids, he's going to get at least one remark about eating puke. Kids are gross. There was a greek girl in my class when I was 6 and people used to give her crap about her food all the time. I was a chubby kid, so I didn't say anything because I didn't want them to start picking on me...but yeah. I'd wait till he gets home.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 4:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Thermos makes one that is open mouthed (short and fat) instead of tall and skinny. It's designed to hold food rather than drinks, and it has less places to leak than a regular drinking thermos that has pour spouts and the like. It's basically a tall bowl with a screw on cap.

http://www.thermos.com/imgs/Product_Imgs/2330P_Detail.jpg

Use that, and preheat it like ty mentioned.  I've never had it leak, and we've been using it since kindergarten (he's in 2nd now).

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:53 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• thermos is, i think, the best brand for stuff like that..my daughter is also a soup lover, and i put it in a thermos brand container, and it works wonderfull, never spilled, keeps it hot til lunch..you can find them at walmart
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 4:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just make sure it is not one with a glass insert. I have a little one that I got for free from the Spaghetti'Os peeps about 12 years ago and it really did a good job keeping the hot with out the glass insert. I think you can get the small soup thermos at Walmart that is insulated but not glass inside!
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• A very good and strong thermos. The Thermos brand is the best. You can also put it inside a gallon ziploc baggie just to be safe. Oh and to keep the soup warm until lunch, pour boiling water into the thermos and let sit about 5 minutes before putting the soup in it. It heats the thermos.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Put the thermos in a sealed baggie inside his lunchbox/bag.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 8:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010