Bone marrow matches for people of mixed race?

I recently heard that bone marrow matches are harder to find for people of mixed race because there are fewer donors.

Does anyone have experience with that or have any references?

science_spot

Asked by science_spot at 4:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Health

• Hello, I am the founder of Mixed Marrow and thought you would find our information helpful to answer your question. This thread came up in one of our news alerts so I joined the site so I can answer.

Here is a great TIME article that we were interviewed for on the topic:
    http://www.time.com/time/health/article/0,8599,1993074,00.html

Besides bone marrow, we are finding that research shows umbilical cord blood offers hope to hard-to-match patients as well. We are learning more and more about what cord blood can do and it is a painless, risk free procedure many do not know enough about. 95% of umbilical cords are discarded each year!

You can visit us at www.mixedmarrow.org or on facebook we are the most active since our site needs to be reconstructed...facebook page is here:
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Mixed-Marrow/345188765275?ref=ts

Please contact us at info@mixedmarrow.org if you have any questions
    mixedmarrow

Answer by mixedmarrow at 10:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I saw something the other day that said that too! I had no idea! But I guess so! lol I don't know why I'm answering this! I know its of no use.. Just wanted to say I heard it too! But I can't remember what the heck I was watching.. hmm thats gonna bother me.. lol
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 4:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i dont know but you could always take up a search yourself. find others of th esame mixed races and find those generous enough to get tested for your sake, if this is you your needign help for.....good luck
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• That is weird because no matter who you are you are mixed. Weather you are mixed with 6 different Caucasian races or whatever. No one is of pure Irish or pure anything. That would take some inbreeding. But you have peaked my interest and I want to see what grounds of proof do they have to believe this.
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 4:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I meant whether
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Q: How is a bone marrow match determined?
    A: Doctors look for a donor who matches their patient's tissue type, specifically their human leukocyte antigen (HLA) tissue type. HLAs are proteins — or markers — found on most cells in your body. Your immune system uses these markers to recognize which cells belong in your body and which do not. The closer the match between the patient's HLA markers and yours, the better for the patient.
    http://www.marrow.org/DONOR/When_You_re_Asked_to_Donate_fo/Donation_FAQs/index.html#match
    Momma_Halo

Answer by Momma_Halo at 4:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010