Does anyone shop at Aldi?

I'm in love with that place. I never knew off brand would taste so good because I used to be a label snob. Every now and then I'll get something that tastes a little off-the canned chili I got awhile ago was really salty, but I can do 2 weeks worth of grocery shopping for 3 people for like, 50bucks. AMAZING!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 4:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I love Aldi! I usually buy my meat and produce at other stores, but everything else there is great! Their milk is always cheaper, and it doesn't contain hormones like some other milks. I don't mind putting a quarter in the cart, it means I don't have to push around some squeaky piece of crap that won't even go straight lol. It's a way for them to keep the costs of the merchandise down.
    hillaryann

Answer by hillaryann at 5:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I sure do. I order Angel Food first, then supplement with a shopping trip to Aldi. My mom has a friends whose daughter is a meat inspector for Aldi. She says their fresh meat is fresher & better quality than most big chain stores. Their frozen meat... I don't like. It looks bad.

ghostwriter777

Answer by ghostwriter777 at 4:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I LOVE Aldi! Greatest place ever!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I wish we had one near me cause I would so shop there!
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 4:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I need to try it again but when I went to the local Aldi store I didn't like it. Just my opinion and how the store felt to me. I am a huge Publix fan although I am getting more into locally grown food. Thankfully Publix does try to use local food.
    bryncalyn

Answer by bryncalyn at 4:25 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree the prices are really good but only if you eat a lot of processed food. The quality of the meat and produce there is terrible, although i realize it's not thier specialty.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 4:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sometimes the meat is bad. It depends on what you get. Their chicken legs aren't bad, and their stew meat was pretty good. The pork chops have a weird texture but they taste ok. For 3.51 for 6 of them, though, I wasn't expecting too much. For $3.51 I'd eat rubber if it was filling...
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 4:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I went to Aldi once to see what the buzz was about and I HATED it. Having to put a quarter in the grocery cart to use it? Cheesy. And the store itself felt like I was shopping inside a convenience store. It was major low-rent. I'm not a snotty person, but I really hated this store. There was not selection at all on any items and there was no produce. Then, to top it all off, I waited in line about 15 minutes only to find out that they don't accept credit cards so I couldn't get the few things I'd found anyway. I felt like such an ass--a nice big sign on the door stating "CASH ONLY" would have been very helpful and saved us all a lot of time. I don't think I'll ever go back there. I'm definitely a Kroger fan.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 4:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• The Aldi by me accepts credit cards...and the reason its set up weird is because they don't spend money on marketing like other stores, or fixtures. That's why its so cheap. Oh, and you get your quarter back. Its to keep people from leaving the carts in the parking lot-that saves them a TON of money. I used to work for Safeway and we used to have to have at least 3 courtesy clerks outside all the time just to round up carts. Its not cheesy, its a money saver-one of their biggest ones! They normally only have about 4 employees in the store.
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 4:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh, and I didn't mean the meat was bad like, 'spoiled.' I meant sometimes its just not as tasty or has a weird texture. I've never gotten sick from it.
    erinwhitt