My child immitating a babysitting child...

I am babysitting the neighbors kid and although he is a few month younger than my 19 month old he acts much younger. He babbles, throws his food everywhere, drinks from a bottle, steals toys away, rips books, really just usual baby/toddler stuff. My dd speaks 4-5 word sentences, doesn't make a mess while eating, doesn't whine but asks if she wants something just normal stuff and since I have started babysitting him she has started to act like him and it's driving me nuts! She cries when I lay her down, throws her food, whines whines whines, babbles, and steals toys away from him! I know it's normal for a young toddler to do but she never did this before. I try to congratulate them if they are behaving good and don't pay attention if they are doing something bad but it isn't working.. and I can't handle this whining anymore! What to do? BTW I am not putting this child down I understand it is normal.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:29 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When you put two kids in the same room, they are bound to start acting like one another. I stopped babysitting a little girl because my daughter (who is almost 2 and a half) started to do some of the bad things that she did, and both of them being Deaf, it was hard to tell my DD why she couldn't act liker her little friend. AND, the parents of the other little girl, every time I asked if they could do something about the behavior when they were with her, they would ignore it like she was an angel.

I didn't want my daughter to hit, or kick, or scream for something. So I removed her from the situation. It's not how she was raised and I won't tolerate a brat. If it's how he gets attention at home, and you are reacting when you watch him, then it's not helping him either. I'd talk to his parents, then stop babysitting him if things don't get better. Manners begin young, and it sounds like his parents don't care about that.
    Vashtiruescode3

Answer by Vashtiruescode3 at 12:36 AM on Sep. 4, 2010