Do you think a child of 12 is old enough to make their own medical choices?

Should a 12 year old have the right to make choices about procedures, medication and/or other treatments without their parents input or okay?

Why or Why Not?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 4:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• i guess it depends on how well informed they are.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No I don't. At that age they are not capable of understanding all the consequences of their choices. I think the earliest I would feel comfortable with a child making their own medical choices is 16.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think WITH a parent they should have input since they can understand options and what docs say. But the parent should have the final call.
    Casumael

Answer by Casumael at 4:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• no, probably not.
    but i dont agree with how quick DR's are to give med's out to kids, sometimes i think they do that just for money and some kids know whe the meds arent helping.. but still, your just too immature at 12.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 4:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• no they're still to young
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 4:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Absolutely not. They do not have the mental capacity to make life choices like that at that age... That's why WE are the parents! That's why you are not considered an adult until the age of 18 and a little iffey at that age...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It depends on THAT person's maturity and understanding. But the more serious things need to be discussed with others.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 4:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think they are old enough to give their input but ultimately they are still their parent's responsibility
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think they should have input as to what is going on with their bodies. They have to live with those decisions. But their parents have more life knowledge and SHOULD know more about what questions to ask about the medications and treatments to make sure its the best decision, that kids would not know or have the self-confidence to ask.
    van5

Answer by van5 at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm going with SWEETPEAS3MOM... no way....
    WoodWitch

Answer by WoodWitch at 4:36 PM on Sep. 3, 2010