ok so we're in the play area at the mall and...what would you have done?

I was sitting in the play area, kids are running around playing on the slides and stuff. I glance down at my phone for a few minutes. next thing i know, i hear my son screaming "NO! don't grab me!" I mean he was flat out yelling at this kid. first instinct of course i run to the slide to see what's going on (btw, the slides are that soft stuff, with padded flooring, nothing where they'll get hurt if they fall) I ask him what the problem was and he said "He grabbed my face and my arm!" well, part of me thinks he should have come and told me. another part says where the heck is this kids' mom (alot of parents were watching lol) and another part of me is proud he just told him to stop. i mean he never hits other kids but this kid left a mark on his face next to his eye, so obviously it hurt. so i was a bit confused as what to do, so i told him next time to come tell me instead of yell at him. he said "ok" & went on his way.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:37 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• yuor son stood up for himself and thats good. i would have left it at that.
    cassie_m

Answer by cassie_m at 4:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Since you didn't see it, you don't know if the other child grabbed him in response to something, or if the other child grabbed him while falling down, or any other situation ... you don't know what happened. It's good that you talked to him about what happened and that he just went on about his playing.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• it sounds like your son did what he should have. then he should have come and tild you, if you didn't know about it yet.
    happy-go-lucky

Answer by happy-go-lucky at 4:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I personally think kids will be kids, I think your son did great by defending himself and you for not loosing your cool. I have taught my kids to stand up for themselves and not allow kids to bully them but if its to hard to handle I will step in...
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 4:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think what your son did was right, he told the child what he wanted him to do.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 4:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had a similar incident at the park yesterday. I want to know why these kids' parents just let them beat up on other kids! We finally just left the park.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i think that he responded well,I don't think you should have done anything different.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with the other posters. Your son stood up for himself without fighting back. You did well in the situation too since you didn't see what happened before he yelled.

LuckyPlusOne

Answer by LuckyPlusOne at 8:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think what your son did was right. I'd much prefer my DD speak up for herself first, before just running off to me. I won't always be there. :)
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 11:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would have done the same thing you did.
    sstepph

Answer by sstepph at 5:47 PM on Sep. 4, 2010