EAR PEIRCING

do they make shorter earings for babies,like the backs of earings? that way it doesnt poke there head if they sleep on there side?

angelairelan

Asked by angelairelan at 8:14 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• This is interesting, because I'm thinking of getting my daughter's ears done. She's only 3 months so I have just been trying to see what other people think about it. I'm waiting until her 4 month appt to ask her ped about it. If he says I should wait, well, then I will. I do think its harmless though. I got mine pierced when I was a baby and so did my sisters. What girl doesn't want her ears pierced? And anyway, if you don't like it, well . . . take the earrings out and that's that. It's not like giving your baby a tattoo. The only worry is infection, but you can ask your doctor to do it, and if they don't do it, ask the place to show you the sterilized equipment, and then maintain it once you get home.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i know they make them with backs that screw on, but i'm not sure if they are shorter or not. ask your pediatrician, a lot of them do it.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Yes, they do! I remember getting my ears done when I was three. They were hypoallergenic "baby" earrings. I think they might have been stainless steel, and sometimes I wore plastic. If you're planning on having your baby's ears done, ask the piercing studio all about it. And don't worry about the pain ... I remember all about it, and, yeah, it hurt, but not long. Good luck!
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 8:29 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• The have a new surgical plastic earing for babies that is small(short), locks in, and requires nooo maintenence!! They are great. My daughter got them at six months at her doctors office. You dont have to turn them or clean them!
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• They do make them shorter and they also make them so the backs are like a dome that covers the point instead of what we're used to, so there isn't a sharp edge to poke them
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 8:59 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I got my daughters ears pierced at Claire's when she was 5 months old. They have shorter post earrings. She is 10 months now and still has the original earrings. We have had no problems what so ever.
    D_niser

Answer by D_niser at 10:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Sorry that I went on a rant. Most of the ear piercing threads are full of mothers criticizing other mothers for getting their baby daughters' ears pierced . . . Kinda strikes a nerve with me.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 10:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I got my daughters ears pierced at walmart. they have ones just for babies that are short. she never had a problem with them poking her. they really changed to look about her and made her look so beautiful. one of hers got crusty and I was a little worried but i kept putting hand sanitizer on them and it cleared up in a few days with no other complications. I never used the solution they give you. I thought i could keep them cleaner with other stuff like the sanitizer i mentioned.. it didn't sting a bit and since it's in a pump bottle, it worked super well. good luck.
    TexasStyle

Answer by TexasStyle at 2:36 AM on Oct. 13, 2008