as soon as he walks in the door.

when my 6 year old comes home from school he throws fits, fights with his brother, yells at me, refuses to listen. when he is in school he is very well behaved but at home he is a hellin. i have taken things from me, punished him, i have even spanked him, nothing works. someone told me he could have adhd but if that was the case wouldn't he miss behave at school?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• My oldest the first few weeks off school are long and hard. She is tired and cranky when she gets home. I make her lay down for a bit and take a nap. but after a few weeks she is much better.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yes usually ADHD willoccur in more than one enviroment. Maybe he needs routine and structure at home. Lots of kids like the routine at school because they know what is happening next and what is expected of them and tey get rewarded if they behave. I would try to have a routine and discuss with him what it is. If thigs go smoothly he get a sticker. A weeks worth of stickers and he gets rewarded.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my son (who will be 6 next month) acts the same way when he's tired and/or hungry. He doesn't get nearly enough sleep and the dr is having me give him benadryl to get MAYBE 7 hours a night if we're lucky. Have a protein and carb big snack ready the minute he walks in. good luck
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My guess is by the time he comes home he is exhausted from the day at school and feels safe enough to take it out on his family. I would institute a mandatory 20 minute rest period after school.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 4:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It probably means that you taught him very well, so that he can go to school and behave properly
    and then he comes home and just doesn't bother
    he may need quiet time when he gets home, and some reminders about what acceptable behavior is
    and yes, like you said, punishment for bad behaviors
    because no matter how tired he is after a day at school, that is no excuse for treating your family poorly
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my kids need to have some time when coming home to shift gears.....I am surprise at the amount of social in and out of the 6/7 year old boy crowd.....they get out ranked a lot and push to try and get some ranking...he might be doing that at home. I would build him up and ask about the play ground stuff. When I did, I found out my guy really wants to take the afterschool martial arts like some of the boys do..cause they all play together and musts be the cool group~
    surfcitymom

Answer by surfcitymom at 4:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Try having a healthy after-school snack waiting for him when he gets home and sit down with him to talk about his day. Maybe he will come home looking forward to something and that will keep his mind occupied so he doesn't get cranky and pick fights? Good luck, Mama.
    Kword

Answer by Kword at 4:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I have a 7 year old son and this was a problem that we seemed to have... After I gave him a snack he seem to settle down... after asking some questions I found out he had lunch at 11:30 and didn't have anything to eat until he got home. So now I make sure as soon as he comes in the door he has something to eat with protein and it makes a world of difference.
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 4:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son acted the same way when he went to school. It's one of the reasons I started hoemschooling. Not a major reason, but definitely one of them. He would just get so tired and over-stimulated and he'd come home and "let it out". I would let him watch cartoons for a while and let him settle down and calm before I had him to anything.
    Laura2U

Answer by Laura2U at 4:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No.

He is holding together all day at school. He knows home is a safe haven and he just lets all of his pent up feeling go the moment he walks in the door.

Is it right? No. You do need to change it.

Here's an idea you could try. You should try to establish a routine and have it posted. It can be in words or in pictures. If your normal routine is to have him do homework or chores as soon as he gets home, you may want to change that to snack or reading time, where someone is reading to him for 10 minutes. I would try to avoid TV or video games at that time. Then he can go onto homework. Get a timer and use it. Make sure he understands the schedule and have it where he can see it. Hope this idea helps.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010