Is it safe to have three car seats side by side? I'm having a hard time getting a good answer to this.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Travel

• Just as long as they are installed right I don't see why it would be unsafe. You can always go to your local fire department and have them check your seats to make sure.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 4:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Safer than the 3rd kid being in the trunk I suppose.

Are you meaning safety for the KIDS, or the driver being able to operate the vehicle safely?

I know the official carseats website forum is all for 3 in a row.... they help people figure out what brands to by based on what u drive....
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 4:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If they are installed and fit properly, than yes, it is safe.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had 3 toddlers at once. And, my poor Subaru Legacy wagon. LOL. The back seat was door to door carseats! LOL. As long as each one is installed properly, they are just fine.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is safer than traveling without the kids in a carseat. And I have done it many times before. Install the two on the sides first, then install the middle one. This may sound dumb... but trust me from experience.. it is easier! lol
    Then when they are in put a knee or foot in the seat and pull on the seat belt as hard as you can to REALLY tighten them in.

If you get them in there super tight and no one is shaking around, then yes... it is safe.

If you want to be 100% on the legality of it, call your local police department and ask them anonymously. :)

Good luck!
    Memigen

Answer by Memigen at 4:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• bumpI'm bumpin this one for you.

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 5:04 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I'm due for # 3 in Feb and my oldest just turned 2. It just didn't seem safe to me to put their seats touching each other. Side impact in this situation seems very unsafe. I don't really have a choice unless I get a Van which I cannot afford.
    heidiandleesmom

Answer by heidiandleesmom at 5:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I've done it and I see nothing wrong with it as long as all three are installed right. But if you're really worried abot it I agree with another mom call the police and ask anonymously.
    countrygirl06

Answer by countrygirl06 at 5:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes why would they not be as long as they are all installed correctly.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I am so boggled by why you would need to call the police department there is nothing illegal about it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 10:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010