budgeting a wedding is it possible?

so my beau and i set a date for the wedding 8-27-11 we want to get our debt down to half before we marry though as well as getting the money for the wedding. combined we make 5000 a month but we have 30,000 in debt (student loans) is it possible to have everything done by that date?

natasha86

Asked by natasha86 at 4:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• It's more than possible. I'm a wedding planner, I'll tell you right now it's more than possible. There is NO reason that you can't have your dream wedding on a budget! Not only did we have ours on a budget, but we did it in 6 weeks!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:52 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We spent $3000 or less for our wedding an it was beautiful.
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 4:54 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Because I didn't want to be in debt, we just went to the courthouse for our wedding. Money was way tight so we decided to save for a big vow renewal later.

We're planning our vow renewal and its going to be way smaller than I first anticipated-I keep getting rid of guests because my family can't get along, so its easy for me!. I use theknot.com for a lot of tips, plus I'm doing a lot of DIY. Make your own favors, it saves you a ton and its so cute.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 4:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes, it's possible! We did our wedding on a budget and it was lovely. Good luck and happy planning!
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yep!!! It becomes a matter of eating in, lowering your grocery bill, and dumping every dime into that loan. You can totally do it! Go you!!!
    urkiddingright

Answer by urkiddingright at 5:13 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• sure can! if i were you i would talk to your SO about visiting a financial advisor/debt consolodator. most of the time student loans can be reduced. but also some basic reducing, figuring out what exactly you want for the wedding and how you can do it little by little. like fake flowers instead of real-great keepsake for the bridesmaids, or doing the favors yourself instead of buying them premade, having the family potluck some for catering stuff like the apitizers with cookies, minicakes, etc. best of luck! i hope this helps!
    candle5

Answer by candle5 at 5:33 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• well, you need 1250 a month to meet your debt reduction goals.
    how much do you need to live off of in a month?
    how much did you want to spend on a wedding?
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• yes it's possible.. it just depends on where you set your limits.

example: are you willing to sacarifice a wedding here and reception there for a wedding all in one place to save on cash?
    are you willing to sacrifice real flowers for fake? Are you willing to spend less on the dress? Would you sacrifice booze for soda? And an MP3 player for a dj?
    Things like this can GREATLY reduce the cost of a wedding..
    so can cooking for your own wedding vs catering.
    it's just a matter of what matters more in your wedding to you.

also check out orientaltrading.com for some nice wedding favors.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 5:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• 1500 to live off of
    and 5000 for the wedding
    natasha86

Comment by natasha86 (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Definitely do-able. Just don't plan for a HUGE wedding if you want cheap. I threw together a ceremony in less than 2 weeks (don't even ask) and total it cost me... less than $100. I burned my own CD, my mom played the organ, a friend of my MIL made our cake... I only paid for blank CDs, a cake topper I liked, the flower petals for the flower girl, and some ribbon... oh, and hair clips for me and my bridesmaids. Of course, it was in my parent's front yard...
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 6:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010