How long should my son sit at the table before I decided he isn't interested in his food and take it away?

When I sit my son down for a meal he usually doesn't want it and after awhile I will get him out of his booster and let him go back to playing. Depending on how wiggly/whiny he is and how interested he is in his food, this could be anywhere form 15-30 minutes. Hubby thinks this is to long and he should only have to sit for at most 5 minutes. Thoughts?

luvsmysonjames

Asked by luvsmysonjames at 4:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's unreasonable to expect a toddler to stay seated until everyone is finished eating. As soon as you see that your son is uninterested in eating  I would let him down. It is a parents obligation to serve a nutritious meal and it is the child's decision to determine how much he wants to eat. Mealtime should be a pleasant experience for all.   www.filedby.com/author/linda_griffin/1127154/

teacher-author

Answer by teacher-author at 7:53 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sit him down to eat with the rest of the family. If he isn't done by the time the rest of the family is done, let him leave with everyone else. Take his food and keep it in the fridge. When he decides he's hungry, give it back to him. Been there, done that!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 4:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Like the previous poster said, the time the rest of the family takes for the meal - if he hasn't eaten by then, take his dinner.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I would require him to sit there until the rest of the family has finished eating. Then I would put his plate in the frig and the next time he thinks he is hungry, offer him the same food again. Tell him he doesn't get anything else until he has eaten that. He will soon begin to eat at mealtime.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 5:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Have him sit there with the rest of the family while they eat, when he is finished, when everyone is finished and ready to leave the table, he may do so also. Put his food in the fridge for him to have later.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• he needs to eat when the rest of the family eats. If he doesn't take the food away.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:20 AM on Sep. 4, 2010