My 14 month old won't eat anything

She has been sick the whole month of August with croup, allergies, and maybe even whooping cough although that wasn't confirmed. Since July she has lost almost two pounds! The doctor said I need to get her to eat more protein and red meats but she only wants to eat bread products, potatoes, and basically empty carbs. Sometimes I can get her to eat fruit.
What can I do to get her to eat something more substantial and gain weight? Besides shoving it down her throat and making her swallow it? (sarcasm)

Laura2U

Asked by Laura2U at 4:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• There are many other sources of protein besides meat. If she likes bread, try baking a loaf of homemeade bread using vital wheat gluten, it's in the baking section of your grocery store. It has twice the amount of protein then a serving of chicken does and also has fiber. Soy milk and soy products also contain alot of protein,as well as dark greens and such..if she wont eat these try pureeing them and mixing them into brownies,smoothies ect. Whole grain pastas are usully fortified with extra calcium and protien as well. Also using almond milk and regularmilk will add a protein boost.
    Good weight gainers that are healthier then milkshakes and ice cream are smoothies with yogurt and fresh fruit(you can add some whip cream for calories)) Panckaes with whole grains and fruit on top, cheese cubes or sticks. Just to name a few.
    The ensure and carnation and other brands are alright if you need them but they are chemically made.
    mamallamaof2

Answer by mamallamaof2 at 5:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• maybe some PB on bread or even PB popcorn, milk shakes... those are ways to get some extra protein that she may like.
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Offer only limited amounts of carbs ... if she fills up on carbs, she won't eat other foods
    Keep offering all of the good foods she needs
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 5:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• When my LO has a hard time eating I actually limit what I put on her plate. I have to do 1 type of food at a time. I usually start with her meat. When that is gone I had the veggies and so on. I usually end it with the carbs or fruit depending on what I have on hand. This works in our house. I hope you find a suggestion that will help.
    coala

Answer by coala at 5:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• also does she like yogurt... yo-baby yogurt
    Precious333

Answer by Precious333 at 5:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just keep offering it and encourage her to eat one bite. Maybe even save her favorite foods until she takes one bite of the protein! Eventually she will probably take a few more bites. My kids do better with a big selection. If I have five things on their plate, they usually try and eat 3 of them. Often they will eat everything. They get more obstinate when they only have one or two choices! :D Try dipping sauces! Mine love to dip chicken, beef, etc in ketchup! Dipping is the best part of eating when you are a kid,.
    micheledo

Answer by micheledo at 5:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Cheese is a good source of protein. You might want to try those drinks that are like ensure. Will she eat those meat sticks in the baby food asile? Maybe those would help.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 5:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My third daughter was extremely little when she was born and is always in the lower 10% on her charts... I bought vanilla Ensure for kids and put chocolate or strawberry milk dry powder mix in it... they even have banana now... I bought silly straws that she could only use in her milk drink... it was great because it was easy to travel with and it help her maintain her weight.... (ps... she is 12 now and can she eat!)LOL!!
    kamore

Answer by kamore at 5:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• try yogurt, and grilled cheese, and mix things together, like if shes like potatoes, get soft like baked or rotisserie chicken and cut it up really tiny and mix it all together with potatoes and she wont even know its there
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 5:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• alice and coala both have good suggestions - good luck
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010