Could My 4 Month Old Be Teething Already? He's drooling Bad, Grumpy and Chewing On EVERYTHING!

My little boy just turned 4 months on Oct 10th. for the past week he has been drooling BAD, Chewing on everything and anything he can get into his mouth, and hes been real fussy lately... Almost unconsolable at times. He was running a slight fever the past couple of nights as well, gave him motrin.. I just didn't know if he was too young for teething already, my other son didn't get his first tooth till he was 6months.

Proudmummyof1

Asked by Proudmummyof1 at 8:17 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• yeah they can start up to 2 months before the tooth appears.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Sometimes babies are born with a tooth or two, so its very possible. Just beware.... my youngest had all the symptoms of teething for 2 months before he cut his first tooth.
    Anonymous

• WOW, thanks ladies.. Any advice on how to calm him down? I try motrin, but don't want to give him too much, you know? he just seems so uncomfy and miserable!!! I feel bad for him.
    Proudmummyof1

Answer by Proudmummyof1 at 8:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• It is possible, my son was teething at 4 months and actually cut his top two right about then. Check his gums to see if there are any red swollen areas. If so, then he's getting ready to cut some teeth. If you feel comfortable with it, give him some baby Motrin to help him with the pain. You could also try some baby Orajel or teething tablets, or a cold teething ring.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 8:25 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My first son cut a tooth at 4 months, didn't expect it and it hurt like heck on my breast because he was biting with it.
    Fifilaflea

Answer by Fifilaflea at 8:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Does he like baths? That might distract him for a little while. Also when my son is crabby, we give him body massages. We just rub his back and arms and legs.
    Pollymom

Answer by Pollymom at 8:27 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Thanks.. I gave him motrin, but don't want to give him too much. Can I give Tylonol too as well? He loves the bath, hates to get out.. I gave him a bit ago, he ate a little and then went off to sleep! His gums are a little red, but not swollen. I guess I just didn't realize they could get them this soon!
    Proudmummyof1

Answer by Proudmummyof1 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• My son started teething at 5 weeks. He had a horrible eruption cyst which caused us to go to the ER (long story). Anyway, his first tooth broke through at 3-months. That young, teething rings are sometimes difficult to use. I used a clean washcloth, froze it and let him chew on it. I also froze his pacifier. Rubbing his gums with a clean finger also helps. Sometimes, just distracting them with toys, walking around, etc. works wonders during the day. The doctor gave us the green light to give him infant Tylenol but I would always recommend checking with your ped. first. I am not sure if you are nursing him but that can sometimes help. My guy would nurse but didn't take the bottle when he was in really bad pain.
    have2travel

Answer by have2travel at 9:36 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• He could be working on getting those teeth in! I believe Motrin is for 6 months and up, so check with your doctor on that. I have Gentle Naturals Homeopathic teething drops and I swear by them! My little guy even knows the bottle and smiles when he sees it. I got mine at Target, but I think you can get them at any grocery store. And of course the teething rings you can toss in the freezer. Good luck!

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• oh yea. my daughter got her first tooth at 3 months! i highly recommend you go get some teething tablets from walmart or cvs. you will be thankful you did!! and maybe stick a wet washcloth in the freezer for a few mintues (dont let it get completely frozen) and let him chew on it!
    stayathomehero

Answer by stayathomehero at 9:56 PM on Oct. 12, 2008