My son is 9 months and is still breastfeeding. Iwant to wean him. I have tried different bottles,cups,fornula,juice...Nothing works..Suggestions??????

ncmami

Asked by ncmami at 5:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Try mixing your breastmilk with something else, then slowly stop adding breastmilk.
    NAT24ROXY24

Answer by NAT24ROXY24 at 5:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Lol he knows what he likes - I can't blame him! Have you tried pumping your milk and giving it to him in a bottle? He is probably too small for a cup yet, and he doesn't need juice. Formula, breastmilk or water are the only liquids he needs.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• How to wean: Drop ONE feeding per week, replacing with formula up till the first birthday. Not juice; that's just filler and he needs the nutrients in breastmilk or formula. Giving juice in place is like you living on crackers, y'know? Drop the LEAST preferred feeding of the day. DO NOT expect cooperation. There is no way to get him to willingly do this, sorry. But drop one feeding per week till gone. That's it. There are no magic tricks, sorry.

No cold turkey. There's a reason the method is named for a dumb bird... it's NOT a smart way to go because it can be VERY painful for mom.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• BTW...wanting to wean is fine if you just don't want to stick through self weaning. That's PREFECTLY ALL RIGHT. But do be aware that weaning doesn't mean sleeping or elimination of clinginess or anything but elimination of nursing. Letting you know because some moms think weaning will stop X, Y or Z.... and wind up disappointed.

Answer by gdiamante at 5:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It sounds like your baby doesn't want to wean. If you can just keep breastfeeding until 12 mo you can wean to water. If you wean now your baby will need 32 oz of formula until 12 mo for brain growth. Cows milk before 12 mo can cause illness, organ damage, or death. That's why formula was invented.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Gaill, do not scare people my DD was 10 months and I gave her almond milk and she is now almost 3 so not dead, her organs are perfect and she is very healthy. Formula was invented to get people to buy more. That s why it is 25 bucks a can that lasts like a week. So 100 buck a month sorry no I couldn't BF anymore and did formula until 10 months then switched to almond milk and my almost 3 year old still drinks it.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 6:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Gailll can be very heavy handed, yes. Formula was invented, delilahsmom1177, because babies (orphans or babies who couldn't breastfeed) died on diets of milk or solids. It was originally meant to save the lives of those unfortunate babies.

It's why they tell people not to switch to whole milk in the first year--it is very difficult to digest. It can affect health and brain development because of the rapid rate of growth and the majority of babies do not have digestive maturity to digest certain foods until they are one or older. They miss out on important nutrients. Some babies are okay, but for others their healthy can be compromised.

The USA drinks an obscene amount of milk. and a lot of people don't know that you can over consume calcium. Cow milk is made to build cows so it has very high proportions of nutrients that humans don't need and lacks sufficient nutrients that we do.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 7:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• amile, IDK my grandma was fed goats milk at around 6 months old and so were her siblings and cousins IDK I have my own theories you have ours. I think it is all propaganda and another "reason"(excuse) not to breast feed.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It is best to wait until he is at least one before you try to wean him.
    hsmominky

Answer by hsmominky at 11:56 PM on Sep. 3, 2010