What do you consider is to much time doing sports?

My 12 year old daughter does volleyball in the fall, basketball in the winter and volleyball on traveling team in the spring. She has a B average and is involved with Student Counsel and Trend. My parents feel that these are to many activities for her and that I should limit the amount of sports she plays? What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• her grades are good, she's happy and wants to do all these sports ... GO FOR IT!!! It is absolutely healthy, both physcial, mental, socially.
    I was super happy when I was going from one sport to another AND it kept me out of trouble...
    IF you ever start seeing grades slip, unhappiness, or super stress THEN talk to her about maybe dropping some activites but until that day...
    Honestly IMO, grandp's are nuts.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:14 PM on Sep. 6, 2010

• If it were having a negative impact on her grades, I would limit her sports.
    If it were having a negative impact on her health, I would limit her sports.

But since this isn't happening, and she isn't your parents' child but your child, and it sounds like she is doing really well and enjoying herself, why would you limit? I wouldn't.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 5:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think when it stops being fun for her, that's when it's too much. If she starts to complain about all the activities, or if her grades start dropping, then consider dropping an extra curricular.
    SarahLeeMorgan

Answer by SarahLeeMorgan at 5:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If she tells you that she tired, and doesnt want to do some of her activites then let her drop them. But if she's having fun, she has good grades, why stop a good thing? The activites are keeping her out of trouble and she sounds really smart. Just tell them that you support her and everything she does, and if she WANTED to drop something you would let her.
    browningmom

Answer by browningmom at 5:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ohh no..its keeping her outta trouble...her grades arent being effected, her health is fine (i would imagine) let her be!!!

when i was in school, from grade 8 and on..i was in the school every morning from 6-8 playing volleyball..830-3 i was in school..had volleyball practice from 330-5..went home..ate dinner, and went to the gym from 6-8...EVERY DAY!!! it was something i totally completely enjoyed doing..volleyball was my life!! ohhhhhh i miss playing!!!!
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• let her enjoy it, if it's too much for her let her tell you ask her frequently. Don't let anyone else tell you it's too much when it's not them doing all of it.
    natasha86

Answer by natasha86 at 5:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If your daughter isn't saying its too much then I think its probably fine. My boys are both very active...Football in the fall, wrestling in the winter, baseball in the spring, wrestling goes year long for my older son and he also does track and is in swing choir at school and drama. They love being busy and keeping active. Unless they start to tell me they are tired of it I don't think I'll have them stop.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 10:43 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• All I can say is I know that doing 30-60 minutes of exercise a day (doesn't matter what it is) is all a body needs to stay physically healthy.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 6:23 AM on Sep. 4, 2010

• If she wants to and can do it all then I would let her. If it started to effect her grades or the amount of time she was able to spend with family then I would talk to her about limiting them.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 1:26 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• 30-60 minutes of exercise a day is not "all a body needs" to stay physically healthy
    and that's not what was being asked.

I agree with justnancyb
    yoliplus6

Answer by yoliplus6 at 12:35 PM on Sep. 6, 2010