What is left for Kindergarten to even teach him???

I'm a little concerned about my child starting Kindergarten next year. He is 4.5 and already knows how to read and write and some basic math, kindergarten is still a year a way for him, so I think it is safe to assume that he will learn much more in that time... I guess I'm worried that if he already knows this, what is left for kindergarten to teach him, and is he going to be bored with relearning stuff he already knows, or even worse will he act out and be labeled a disruptive child because of his boredom??

I realize these may seem like senseless worries to some; but I was wondering if anyone else had a child go in to kindergarten already knowing the basics, such as reading, writing, addition, subtraction.. and how it went for them?

GavinsMommii

Asked by GavinsMommii at 5:34 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• oh yes. . . my DD was reprimanded for knowing how to write her name and read and such rest of the class was just learning. . . It was awful!!! She has special medical needs anyhow so it made it easy for us to decide to just home-school her. . . and we have since. She spent 1 mo. enrolled in public school and I saw then it just wasn't worth her health or education. . . She is in 2nd grade now and reads like a 4th grader and is learning geometry this year. . .
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ooooo, I can answer this one! I WAS that kid. They wanted to skip me to 1st grade because I knew all the educational stuff. BUT - there is a lot of social and developmental stuff happening in kindergarten, and that's very important too. I was a shy kid and my mom felt that I would be better off with kids my own age. There were also developmental things - cutting with scissors was a big one - that I could not do yet. So they kept me in kindergarten and I walked to the 1st grade class for reading and math. I am very glad my mom made the choice she made - I was just so shy, and intimidated, and it would have been much worse if I was in a room full of kids a year older than me.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 5:38 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I had the same problem last year, and they actually put my son in some 1st grade classes for reading and math, this year he is in the talented and gifted program. Check into your school and see what they can offer him. He needs to stay challenged so he does not fall behind.
    SWEETPEAS3MOM

Answer by SWEETPEAS3MOM at 5:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I think he'll do great, don't forget there is music and art and the whole social aspect, gym, they learn weather, geography, tons of stuff!
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 5:39 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My daughter was doing these things before she went to school. At one point she even corrected the teacher's spelling (lol!) but not to worry. I talked to her teacher and explained where my daughter was in terms of her reading , math, etc levels, and fortunately she worked with me to keep her challenged. It is good that your son will be with kids his age, for social skill development with his peers. maybe it would be good to help him understand how to be a helper to other kids who may need it.

69humblepie

Answer by 69humblepie at 5:41 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• just remember your child can get just as much social interaction via home-schooling. Look at your options and talk to the school districts. . . For us HOME-SCHOOLING was and IS the only option. And I wouldn't change it for a thing. Not every child is the same and schools don't always acknowledge this. What is right for one isn't always right for the rest. JMHO.
    Kirs

Answer by Kirs at 5:45 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• He may know all these things. But, Kindergarten will be teaching him in a whole new setting - a social setting. He will now be learning how to learn in/with/as a group. There will also be lots of other things he will be doing. And, in a whole new way from how he learned at home. There will be plenty of "new" for him. I guarantee it!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 5:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I was that kid also. I could read like an adult and do a lot of other things. I corrected the teachers spelling of macaroni. However, back in my day, they didn't care if you were advanced, they learned "A" for an ENTIRE week.

Now, it is way different...he will not be nearly as bored with it as I was. It will work out...just keep teaching him.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 6:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Are you sure you're not talking about my son? I was really worried, & I still am... (John just started this week.) So I talked with his teachers, & if they feel that hes getting bored, or misbehaving because of this, they'll get him work from the 1St grade class. (See John hasn't started reading yet. I know he can do it, but he doesn't think he can... He does it without knowing hes doing it, but if you ask him to read something, he freezes.) They talked about bumping him up a grade, but I told them no, that I wanted him to stay with his grade. He needs to be in his class, (In case he skips & then gets held back.) So his teachers are working with me to make sure that he doesn't get into trouble & stays on track....

Talk to his teachers next year, & keep him going. Dont try to "dumb" his down as some moms have told me. Let him learn, He might be like John & Love school & Okay with reviewing things (So far...)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 6:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My older two had that experience, and my third will be having that experience this year. There is still a ton to learn and a ton to do, including just learning how to be in a new environment, learning how to follow classroom rules, steps in gaining independence, and so much more! Just stay positive and he'll be just fine. My older two loved kindergarten and I have no doubt this one will also.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 6:59 PM on Sep. 3, 2010