How can I get, my teenage sons(18 and 16) to help areound the house? \

I attend college classes full time, and I work full time. My husband is an over the road truck driver and only home on weekends! I am a bit overwelmed with homework, housework, yardwork etc...... I also sell Avon in my free time (which is less and less now)!

pixidst73

Asked by pixidst73 at 5:44 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• that's easy!.....aside from a roof over their heads and meals (no junk food).....cut them off financially! well, at least cut off life's little luxuries......

oh, and do they drive? if so, take the keys until you get the help you need and deserve.

believe it or not, when the dishes are all dirty and they run out of clean clothes, they will most likely "find" the inspiration to help out.

survival!!!!

Cheryl
    Supe68

Answer by Supe68 at 5:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Don't think of it as helping you around the house. You are now 3 adult size people that share the house and there is stuff that needs to be done. Some things one person may be better at. Each of you can do your own laundry. You need to decide how the other household stuff is going to be split up. If they have jobs and don't want to do anything then each of you may want to contribute to having a cleaning lady come in once a week.

Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 5:49 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I hate to say this but teenagers like a little spending money and it might be an incentive to get him to help out. You would think that you could just ask for some help and it wouldn't be any problem whatsoever.
    CafeMochaMom1

Answer by CafeMochaMom1 at 5:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• IDK.. but if you find out.. can you let me know????
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Have chore lists of things you expect them to do daily/weekly. Have some kind of reward for them doing their jobs cheerfully and on time, and consequences for grumbling or not completing chores.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Well, for one thing, stop calling it "helping". Assign responsibilities. My 17 year old LIVES HERE, he has certain jobs that are his to complete. My kids are part of the team, and expected to behave as members of the team.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• "....cut them off financially! well, at least cut off life's little luxuries......"

What if you don't finance their luxuries?? I'm a single mom and my 17 year old has a job in which he works about 20 hours per week and averages $20 per hour. Everything cool and expensive he has (other than food and a roof over his head) he pays for out of his own earnings. I don't feel right taking something away from him that he has earned and paid for with his own hard-earned money. ????

FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:57 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• My son actually takes his laundry to a laundromat now and pays for "Wash, Dry & Fold" service because I've gone on a strike for doing his laundry for him because he won't help around the house.
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 7:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• As a rule teenagers are just lazy people, believe me, I know...hee hee -- I can tell you that when they move out they realize why you wanted them to do all those things. hee hee -- My son complained about all the things I wanted him to do and I never really asked him to do a lot of things. But I agree with two posts...either offer money as an incentive OR start charging him rent (which helps him learn about the real world) and allow him to work off the debt he owes you every month. That will only work if he has a part time job and you can have him pay you money if he does not do the chores. FYI....I did this one with my son but when I made him pay, I put the money in a savings account for him that he was not aware of. Then I gave it to him when he moved out. ;) Good luck to you...I hope you find an answer!
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 11:51 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Good luck!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010