Mildew smell on clothes

My clothes have started getting a real nasty mildew odor to them. I thought I was leaving them in the washer too long after it turned off, so I started putting them in the dryer as soon as it turns off and I dont let them sit in the dryer either. Its driving me crazy.

karbri71203

Asked by karbri71203 at 8:22 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Home & Garden

• add peroxide to the wash, it'll brighten them and kill germs - or so I've been told.
    myboogiewoogie

Answer by myboogiewoogie at 8:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Is your washing maching spinning them dry enough? If they retain too much water before they are dried, they can still get that funky smell. If it's not, it could be the belt.
    KatieBatey

Answer by KatieBatey at 8:24 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• ew dont you hate that!!! ours does that sometimes... try running the washer with just soap and a little bit extra and some bleach in there to wash it out... that helped with use.
    Anonymous

• Vinegar works for getting out deisel smell I have found for my husbands clothes. Maybe that will work. Also I have noticed if I leave the washer lid open while not inuse that helps with the mildew smell.
    bizima4

Answer by bizima4 at 8:26 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• We had this same problem with a brand new washer, my dad suggested leaving the washer door open overnight occassionally, he said that the seals inside the washer were not getting completely dry between loads, it worked for us. Kudos to my dad the former maytag washer builder.
    tegsmom

Answer by tegsmom at 11:48 AM on Oct. 15, 2008

• i agree with vinegar.. just regular old vinegar a cup per load.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2008