Do I stand my ground?

Ok, so it's my birthday this weekend (labor day to be exact). My inlaws decided that they wanted to go out into BFE and hike a mile into a spring box canyon. The hike isn't easy, most of it is uphill, through cactus, and then the trail goes directly through a stream for about another 1/4 mile. My dd is only about 9 months old, and learning to walk, so she's real restless when it comes to sitting for long periods of time, even in her stroller. Long story short, I don't want to go, but my dh is insistent that we go. There's not trash receptacles, no restrooms, and no place that is flat enough to even change a diaper. I don't have a babysitter, and we've already had an argument about going. What should I do?

gnovinger

Asked by gnovinger at 6:00 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Relationships

• Girl, It's your birthdayy!!! Do not go unless you are 110% sure that you want to go and that you will enjoy yourself. Me, I definitely would not enjoy myself. Your birthday is a NATIONAL HOLIDAY...=) You need to enjoy it, have fun and definitely not go hiking where there are no restrooms, ect. Especially with your 9 month old! !! I hope you have a wonderful birthday and can enjoy it to it's fullest extent. Let me kno how it goes!!
    LanesMommy06

Answer by LanesMommy06 at 6:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Stand your ground! That doesn't sound like anything I'd like to attempt with a 9 month old either, ESPECIALLY not on my birthday!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Stand your ground. How inconsiderate of your inlaws to plan this on your birthday weekend...uh...why didn't they ask what YOU wanted to do? If your hubby insists on going, let HIM take your kid and deal with all that and spend the day pampering yourself!
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:02 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• not go! taking a 9 month old hiking is insane IMO. just because your inlaws want to go doesn't mean you have to. if your dh wants to go, great. unless you don't want him to go
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Stand on your firm, not hilly, close to a bathroom B-day ground! If he doesnt like it- too bad, he'll have to get over it- make plans w/ your friends instead. Most importantly, have a HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:05 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• You dont suppose they are planning some kind of surprise for you instead do you? B/C this request is TOTALLY INSANE!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Just tell your husband and in-laws that you won't be attending this outing this time around, but perhaps another time. You are not up for it and you feel uncomfortable with the baby going on this little adventure as well. You would feel better if you and the baby went to a local park or the library or something more in doors or not so rigorous. Hope this helps. Don't be bullied into going if you really don't want to. People respect a person who is firm in their decision making. Good Luck!
    Saprena

Answer by Saprena at 6:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If it was me,I'd go and have a good time.The reason I say this is because life is short sweetie.My son was killed back in January,He was only 31.Family is so important and you never know what could happen the next day.Go mama.It sounds like you'll have plenty of people with you to help you with the baby.Please go.I know you'll be glad you did.
    bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Good lord it's my birthday last year revisited! My in-laws decided to hike on MY birthday at this place called Devil's Punchbowl. I simply refused to go and let them take the kids. I went over to a friends house during the day and when they got back they took me to dinner.
    I would stand my ground and not go.
    Orionsgirl

Answer by Orionsgirl at 6:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• say you'll only go if he is left in charge of taking care of the baby the whole time. after all it's your birthday and he should watch her for you anyway. if this is truly the only reason you don't want to go.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010