What's the best colors in a bedroom for a boy and a girl sharing a room?

I have a 3 yr old and a 6 yr old.

janeq123

Asked by janeq123 at 6:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Neutrals, like tans and light browns and a cream...but they probably won't be able to share a room much longer...she'll need her own room soon.
    erinwhitt

Answer by erinwhitt at 6:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my kids share a room (boy 5 1/2 and girl 4)

walls are cream/eggshell but each of their sides are unique. her: bugs and butterflies and his stars, moons, planets and a lot of glow in the dark elements throughout, tying it all together
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• green,white,blue,red

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 6:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• if you're really going to PAINT, take them with you to the store. they may surprise you on what they'll choose together.

the bedroom that used to be my sons private bedroom but is now their formal playroom is painted for them to share the space. they had SOMEWHAT limited choices 'cuz we bought allergy friendly paint.... but in less than 90 seconds they found and agreed on a (hideous) bright bright BRIGHT lime green that they both adore.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• oooh - another option is a plain/neutral color w/ parts of the room done in that chalkboard paint. LOVE that.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I agree with the other moms on the neutral colors, also I am not sure the age, but after a certain age they are not legally allowed to share a room. My cousin had her kids sharing a room, and was told by a guidance counselor she had to separate them, or she could have them removed from the household. I'm not sure if that is a nation wide law or if it varies by state. But while they are young it is OK.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:12 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Oh yes I love the chalkboard paint too. that way they can have fun. Sometimes they think they can write on all the walls though...
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sage or Willow green.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Let them pick! Paint is relatively cheap, and it will make them feel like they got to choose something really important. My parents did this with me and I loved it. We plan to do it with my son when he is old enough to have an opinion. At 20 months everything is "green!" so we need to get through the green obsession period first, lol.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 7:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• i agree to let them pick the color. if they can't decide on one together, then you could let them pick seperate colors that look nice together. my sons both picked the colors for their room and they could go for either sex. one picked turquoise and the other one picked yellow. i would suggest getting the paint that is low voc's so that you don't have to worry about airing out the house or kicking them out while you're painting. it costs about the same as regular stinky paint. i like the olympic low odor from lowe's
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 7:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010