Is this that bad?

As a joke, because I love Waynes World, I dressed my son up as Garth Algar and had him say, "I love you dream woman." Well, my aunt and grandmother came over-unannounced and asked why he had a wig on and then gave me a lecture about how it was totally inappropriate and I gave teen moms a bad name.

First of all, I'm 22 and had my son 6 days before I turned 20-so teen mom is really pushing it. Second, when was I voted to represent all teen moms? I'm pretty sure MTV already delegated 4 ladies to do that for me.

I'm a great mom but I like to have fun with my kid. When I was little, my parents (who were married and in their 30s when I was born) used to dress me up all the time in ridiculous outfits. Was what I did REALLY THAT TERRIBLE?!

erinwhitt

Asked by erinwhitt at 6:06 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I've taught my kids some pretty awful things, lol .... try and let it go. Some people have no playfulness and it shows
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:07 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I don't think it is, was he having fun? I wouldn't worry about it....
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 6:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Not even close, that's actually pretty funny! And I'm 39, so no "teen mom" here, heh. My son has been known to walk around in a Mickey Mouse hat, sunglasses and my underwear for a "shirt" (don't ask, he got into the laundry basket). I thought it was hilarious!

Your aunt and grandmother need to lighten up...
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:08 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No, I have done much the same. My younger son will grab a snuggie, wear it backwards and tell me he's Harry Potter! So I hand him a broom and tell him to go practice Quidditch outside.

If you were forcing it on your child, then maybe.... but as long as everyone is playing and having a good time, what harm is there in fostering your child's imagination?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They need to search for their sense of humor. Kids love it when you get totally silly like that & play w/ them. You're a good mom for interacting on that level w/ your child. If they can't see that- that's their loss.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• you didn't do anything wrong my mom had me when she was 26 and my bro when she was in her early 30's we used to rummage through our moms clothes put them on and be very silly. my mom laughed - my dad laughed... for serious what a joke. i would tell them that they do not need to come over for awhile. until they get over themselves. bwah
    MoMoFu

Answer by MoMoFu at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I told them, what the hell's the point in going through with an unplanned pregnancy when you're 19 if you can't dress your kid up as Garth Algar and make him say ridiculous things?! I sacrificed my 20s, I'm going to has fun, gosh darnit!
    erinwhitt

Comment by erinwhitt (original poster) at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They need to lighten up. Everyone does silly things with their kids, or has them repeat phrases that are funny. If your kid is a ham like mine, he will do whatever you tell him to for a laugh. He may not know the meaning of his words, but it makes people laugh and that is positive attention. And that's a good thing for little self-esteems (and budding class clowns, lol!)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 6:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeah, they need to lighten up. I'm a "older mom". I'm 43 and my youngest is 14 mos, and I don't see anything wrong with what you did. You dressed him up and taught him to say something funny. You didn't teach him to say bad words or something vulgar. You didn't teach him to smoke pot or give him a beer. Did you hold him down while he cried while you put the wig on (sarcasm here, I'll bet you were both giggling and having fun). Sounds like good fun bonding time with mom if you ask me.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 6:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I dont see anything wrong with it.. Parents need to have fun too. If hes enjoy it then it isnt a problem..
    AirforceWife654

Answer by AirforceWife654 at 9:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010