Texting Question

I'm not a texting person. My cell phone is used for phone purposes, sometimes a camera, but that's it.

However, I have a thing where I need to text a word to a number. I know how to text to another cell phone and I know how to send an e-mail, but how in the word do you text to a 5 digit number? When I enter the number, it tries to enter it as a phone number (let's say the number is 12345...after entering it, it will look like "1-2345" as it's expecting at least two more digits to make it a full seven digit phone number.

So, yeah...not to sound like a complete un-texting dork, but what do I do here? LOL

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 6:09 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Just text it like it's a 5-digit phone number. It'll actually go through just fine.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:10 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• @Gottalovemal

Actually, there are some places that use 5-digit numbers for texting only. I have it set up w/ a local restaurant - they use their 5-digit code to text me discount coupon codes to their restaurant.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• when texting, you have to put the area code
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:11 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• ok I'm sorry I didn't understand your question. I left your question and thought about it for a minute and realized I answered you wrong. Say you're texting to donate money to an organization. they want you to text "vote" to 12345, just type the word and put in the number. your phone expects you to text a seven digit number so it'll display the number oddly, but hit send and it will go through no problem.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:14 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It'll go through like a normal number. You don't have to have an area code for things like that .
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 6:15 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• @gemini, thank you, I completely misunderstood her question, though I thought I understood it. I realized my error after already replying.
    gottalovemal

Answer by gottalovemal at 6:16 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• if its the same area code as your cell phone it should go through like normal- except in Alabama they just changed that you always have to use the area code
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 6:17 PM on Sep. 3, 2010