Does God want your unborn fetuses ripped up?

I have been seeing a comment around the answers section that is being used against the Bible believer to show them how evil God and the Bible truly are. There have been a few that have claimed that God supports the "ripping up of women with child". Therefore God must be a vile and wicked God, One that shouldn't be believed in or followed. There have also been others who have gotten irritated when a Bible believer tells them that they are taken a passage out of context. I must say that this passage IS being taken out of context and misused. This passage is a prime example of how people can take portions of Scripture and twist them around. Do you really believe that God condones or supports the "ripping up of women with child"? or, is this passage in question being used as an attack on God and His Word? Let's take a look at what this passage REALLY says.... (will take a moment to post in parts)

missionarywifey

Asked by missionarywifey at 6:18 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I have a handy Bible program that allows me to type in a passage or word and it gives me every verse that has those words in it. There is only one verse that contains "rip up their woman with child" and it is in 2 Kings 8:12. Here is what the verse says: 2Ki 8:12 And Hazael said, Why weepeth my lord? And he answered, Because I know the evil that thou wilt do unto the children of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with the sword, and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child.
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Now, let’s read the ENTIRE set of verses before it. Here is the layout. Elisha is a prophet of God. He healed a woman’s son by raising him from the dead. In this chapter he tells the woman to go wherever she can because there is going to be a famine for seven years. So this woman takes her son and her household and gets out of dodge. She went to the land of the Philistines. When the seven years was finished, she went home and went before the King and begged for her house and her land to be restored. The King talks with Gehazi which is Elisha’s servant, they give back the woman’s land and home, all is well. Let’s go to verse 7. Elisha goes to Damascus where Benhadad the king of Syria was sick.
    missionarywifey

• Someone told the King that the prophet Elisha was coming. Benhadad said unto his trusted confidant Hazael to bring some gifts to Elisha and ask Elisha if the King would recover from this disease. So Hazael went to Elisha bearing many gifts, the finest of things that come out of Syria. Hazael presents them before Elisha and says these gifts are from the King, and he wants to know if he is going to recover from this disease. Elisha says with as much strength as he could muster up, that yes, the King would recover from this disease however, the Lord has showed him that the King would surely die.
    missionarywifey

• Again? Didn't you post this just a bit ago?
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:19 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• It was then the man of God, which is Elisha began to cry. Hazael asks “Why weepeth my lord?”. Elisha, the man of God, God’s messenger answered Hazael directly. Here is what Elisha says: Because I know the evil that thou wilt do unto the children of Israel: their strong holds wilt thou set on fire, and their young men wilt thou slay with the sword, and wilt dash their children, and rip up their women with child.

missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• What is Elisha saying? He is saying that it has been revealed to him that HAZAEL WILL DO THESE THINGS!!! (it never says God will do them, it never says that God has commanded anyone to do them!! It is Hazael that will do them) Here is Hazael’s answer: “But what, is thy servant a dog, that he should do this great thing?” He’s saying, “who do you think I am? some animal, why would I do that??!!” Elisha answers: The LORD hath shewed me that thou shalt be king over Syria. Are we understanding what is happening here? The King of Damascus Benhadad is about to die. The Lord has revealed to Elisha that Hazael will be the new King. It has also been revealed to Elisha that Hazael is going to be a very wicked King. He is going to kill young men, he is going to set things on fire, he is going to rip up pregnant women! It never says God is going to do this, this is the act of a murderous, monstrous King!!
    missionarywifey

• Here is the first act of this monstrous soon to be King Hazael. He goes back to the King and tells the King that Elisha says that he will recover..”all is well King, you’ll be fine!”. The very next day Hazael takes a thick cloth, puts it over King Benhadad’s face and smothers him. He kills the current King and now Hazael is the new King of Syria. He was not a good king, he was a wicked King and the Bible says “he oppressed Israel all the days of Jehoahaz.” 2 Kings 13:22 Hazael was a barbarian out to kill people. This King was not put in place by God and he certainly didn’t have God’s blessing.
    missionarywifey

• So, here is a perfect example of someone taking a phrase out of the Bible and twisting it for their own purposes. No one needs to beware, the Israelite God does NOT, NOT, NOT want your unborn fetuses!!! this verse is being used to show how horrible the God of the Bible is. I want to prove that God has nothing to do with this verse. He is not the one doing this vile act, the wicked King Hazeal was. I have seen many non-believers use this verse against Christians lately trying to show that a Christian is crazy to follow such a hateful, vile God..a God that told others to "rip up woman with babies". When in reality, God had nothing to do with this. I think this is a prime example that others have a gross misunderstanding of God and the Bible.
    missionarywifey

• "Again? Didn't you post this just a bit ago? "

Yes, I apologize! I tried to edit this post as a question and when I hit edit, half of it was deleted. I'm sorry to all who responded. Feel free to respond again. I have no need to edit it again, so it will not get deleted this time ;-)
    missionarywifey

Comment by missionarywifey (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• um ... that's a lot of stuff. I take a pretty generic pro life view. God is good. God loves babies. Don't pay people $300 to kill your baby God blessed you with. And ripping anything is probably bad. Especially little people.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 6:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010