My 5 year old wont stop peeing durning the day.. he is 5!! I have tried everything. I think he's just to lazy to stop what he's doing and use the bathroom. My two year old is potty trained. this is getting horrible!!

I think he is just lazy he doesnt want to stop what he's doing to use the bathroom. My 2 year old is potty trained.. she doesnt even wet the bed and he still does!!

mommyx05

Asked by mommyx05 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• He could have a bladder infection if it's fairly recent but likely it's just a way of getting attention. I take it you just toilet trained your younger child so maybe he feels he isn't getting the same amount of one on one Mom time. There is also medication he can take but I'm not sure if it's for use during the day. My son was on it for wetting the bed. I would still check with your doctor and have some tests run because it is possible that his body doesn't give him any warning when his bladder is full.
    L.A.F.outloud

Answer by L.A.F.outloud at 8:48 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• i agree with LAF it could be an infection. my friends son has this problem too and found out he has a narrow urethra and has to have surgry to correct it. he wets himself cuase he cant feel when he has to go till its too late. i would check with your dr to rule out and medical problems then go from there
    Anonymous

• I think I would definitely speak with a healthcare professional... A son of a friend of mine had the opening that was too small, so he could feel when he had to go, but by the time he felt it, it was too late. But, at the same time, it could be a slight amount of jealousy. But, I would ask a doctor before I just rule it laziness... I know my son would be having soooo much fun playing that he would hold it until the last minute and then wet himself. He's still done it once or twice at 7. Okay, my last suggestion, is maybe watch how much and what he is drinking. Maybe keep the drinking to only while he is eating, unless he is outside playing and needs the hydration. Hope that helps and you get it under control! Good luck!!!
    mommystiebler

Answer by mommystiebler at 11:24 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Tell him that he has to go to the bathroom or he will smell and no one will want to play with him. Tell him your taking his toys or t.v time. i have to do that when my son's grounded and he's 5. He wears pull-ups to bed and when I get up in the middle of the night to pee, I wake him cause he plays that he can't wake up, lol. He is fine in the daytime, he goes to school so it's great. I've had to keep on him.
    Anonymous