does your kids school have a cooking class?

my son is in kindergarten and they cook in the kitchen WEEKLY. September it's apple themed, apple sauce 2 ways (pureed and chunky) apple pie, apple crisp, and apple donuts. October is going to be pumpkin themed but no "menu" yet. I love this but also find it unusual.... I myself have been to 32 schools (No counting daycares and preschools and colleges, just k-12) and other than home ec never did anything similar

hibbingmom

Asked by hibbingmom at 6:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in

• No. But I sure wish they did! I would even volunteer to come in and help! I love cooking with my little one!
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 12:06 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• Where I teach, we have a weekly cooking class for all grade levels, grades 1 through 8. We feel that it is important for children to learn to be safe in the kitchen.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No they don't, that sounds like so much fun and they will learn a lot.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 6:26 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yes, in my son's high school. It is called "Culinary" and they teach nutrition as well as basic to advanced cooking methods. At my high school (in the early 90's) my school called it "Foods" and ours was mostly focused on connecting food to history and geography. Either way.. it really helps with kitchen skills and technique... IMO
    FeelinYummy

Answer by FeelinYummy at 6:47 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No, but i hope once my son is in middle school that they have some kind of cooking class. That would be great.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 6:22 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• In middle school, yes
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:23 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Not that young. But it's required in middle school. So is a sewing class... Beyond that they are optional.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• I do a cooking activity with my prekinders at least once a month. It's lots of fun for the kids and really adds to the program, but I am the only teacher in the school who does a monthly theme like this. Our kindergarten teacher cooks once or twice a year with her class and the other preK classes don't cook at all.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:42 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• We homeschool, so yes, we do! My son loves cooking, we study nutrition, ingredients, cooking science, recipes, techniques, kitchen hygiene, even stuff like cheesemaking. It's a lot of fun.
    Fistandantalus

Answer by Fistandantalus at 9:40 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Sounds fun!
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 12:56 AM on Sep. 4, 2010