For those over 40, have you ever been caught shoplifting and how did it affect you?

I met a friend who at 52 got caught shoplifting. She said the store took 2 of her blazers and always highlighted her negative faults instead of good character in customer surveys, and cheated her in commission sales. She retaliated, got caught and booked, served community service and paid restitution. Somehow it only turned into trespassing because it was a first time offense. Her kids do not know about this, only her husband and yet it has been over 2 years now but has destroyed her life because she has never done any wrong ever, she said. I told her to let it go. She can't. Help!!

ladylovemm

Asked by ladylovemm at 6:21 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Shopping

• No, but my good friend's mother and her used to shoplift all the time. I use to wonder where they got all those nice things. It is sad because I know at some point they got caught. How sad when we have a shoplifting addiction and we pass it on to our children.
    Saprena

Answer by Saprena at 6:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Yeh, but that's an addiction. This was a first time act...or so she says.
    ladylovemm

Comment by ladylovemm (original poster) at 6:46 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No I haven't. But I'm sure she is quite ashamed and embarassed if she can't get over it. All she can do is promise herself that it will never happen again and that she learned her lesson. The proof is how she acts in her future by not repeating hers hoplifting, so somehow she needs to ty and look at the future. She can't change the past, so she needs to get padst it, but she can work on her future.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 9:03 PM on Sep. 3, 2010