my DD (5) got a girl scout paper for sign ups

but it doesn't say on the paper how often they would go, the days, or the times. I thought about putting her in, but she also wants to do ballet which sign ups are next week and she would do it once a week for a half hour. If she was in girl scouts she would be a daisy how often do they do girl scouts at that age? And what times do they normally do it at that age?

mommy5409

Asked by mommy5409 at 6:24 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in General Parenting

• That's Daisy Scouts. The day/time depends on the parent leader. They can't tell you when until they have the troop leaders in place. Usually it's once a week, fun activities like crafts and snacks and games.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 6:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There should be a phone number for the scout master in the area. If not, i would call your branch and find out. Check the website, girlscouts.org.
    gnovinger

Answer by gnovinger at 6:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• They should meet every week on the same day, depends on the leader what day and time. Is there a number to call to contact the leader?
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 6:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Does the paper work have a troop leader's name/number? B/C it varies depending on when/where they are able to do it. You may not find out til you go to the first parent meeting. Last year my daughter's troop met on the 1st & 3rd Wed of the month for 1 1/2 hours. This year it's more since she's moved up from a Brownie to a Girl Scout. Hope you can manage both- I think she'll like it. But I will warn you- it gets REALLY CRAZY at Cookie time! Our dining room was stocked w/ boxes of cookies!
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:31 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Girl Scouting is something that will teach things she will use the rest of her life. I was a girl scout and have so many fond memories. Not to mention some great skills I learned. If the flyer provided a phone number, call and ask questions. Nothing wrong with that!
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 6:35 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• If you go to the meeting they will tell you all about it. That's how it worked for us. My 7yo's Daisy troop met every other week right after school.
    Most of the time the Daisies and Brownies meet twice a month and then might have some activity (like the Daisies went bowling the last week of school) once a month.
    I hope their new school has a troop (my dd will be a Brownie this year) and sends home the sign up stuff soon. School just started last week so hopefully they sent it home next week because she really wants to continue on.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• school for us just started Wednesday this week and she already got the signup papers. She got them today.
    mommy5409

Comment by mommy5409 (original poster) at 6:50 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• my 4 year old starts Daisies (girl scouts) in the spring, and they meet once a week on post (military). The uniform with skirt/shirt/sash/hat/tie was about 120.00 dollars. They go from 4 PM to 6:30 PM. Longer if you will be a troop mom. Good luck!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 7:01 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Meetings are usually once week and about an hour long. Membership dues are only $12 a year and the uniform previously described are NOT required. There should be a contact number on your flyer, call them for more info. For basics, you can check out my websites at http://www.scoutmom.net/ - I'm sure your daughter will have oodles of fun - Daisies are great!

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 8:28 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• Girl Scouts don't have scoutmasters, the uniform for a Daisy Scout is usually a $13 tunic.
    justnancyb

Answer by justnancyb at 8:55 PM on Sep. 3, 2010