Impersonating a nurse?

I've just accepted a job as a medical assistant. I have experience in doctors' offices, but I am not certified. The doctor is training me himself, and I am confident in my ability to perform my job.

There's just one problem. The staff and the answering system, call me "the nurse". I would never call myself a nurse. (I'm just barely an MA!) But I don't know how to address this when asked, because by the time patients get to me, they've already heard the word "nurse" at least twice. Surely when asked directly, any member of the staff would be honest, but the implication they make to the patient causes some trouble for me when they assume I'm a nurse, and I have to correct them.

I asked the receptionist about this, and she said, "We call you the nurse because that's the job you do." But I can't help feeling like this is a little deceptive.

Am I making too big a deal out of this? Or should I insist things change?

MrsBlack616

Asked by MrsBlack616 at 6:27 PM on Sep. 3, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would talk to the person who hired me and/or the doctor. Talk it over and discuss what the appropriate title should be. Do it soon so everyone can move on. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:48 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• There are ethical implications with any job title in the medical profession ... discuss it with the person in charge, let them know your objection, and get it resolved right away.
    Gaccck

Answer by Gaccck at 7:30 PM on Sep. 3, 2010

• No, you're not making a big deal about it. There could be serious consequences to someone assuming you're a nurse when you aren't. Tell the receptionist that your job is not nurse, that you do not have a nursing degree then talk to someone in charge.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 4, 2010

• I agree, they should refer to you by your title only because if can cause so major problems for you and them if someone complains
    MrsWeathers

Answer by MrsWeathers at 8:36 AM on Sep. 6, 2010