what is the difference between Pagan and wica?

sorry I really don't know

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:43 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I just realized that understanding Wicca might be easier if you had some other Pagan religions to use as a reference point. A few examples:
    Wicca - primarily based on pre-Christian religions of Ireland, England Scotland and Wales
    Druid - primarily based on the practices and beliefs of the ancient Celts
    Asatru - primarily based on the practices and beliefs of pre-Christian Norse
    Hellenic - primarily based on ancient Greek religions
    Kemetic - primarily based on ancient Egyptian religions
    Also understand that Wicca is generally very nature based and often includes a belief in magick and witchcraft. Wiccans usually follow the Wiccan Rede and the Three Fold Law as well. Not all Pagans share these beliefs. To complicate matters, not all witches are necessarily Wiccan either.
    (My apologies to any followers of these paths. I know their definitions leave a lot to be desired, but I'm pressed for space here!)
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:40 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• Okay, this is simple! ALL wiccans are pagan but not all pagans are wiccan... Just like all Catholics are Christian but not all christians are Catholic... Pagan is a general term like Christian... Wicca is a spacific religious branch like Catholic...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:46 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Pagan in it's simplest definition is a belief in more than 1 god.

Wicca has a lot to do with mother earth.

make sense?

here's a good site for info on Wicca http://www.wicca.com/celtic/wicca/wicca.htm

flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 8:49 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• thanks
    Anonymous

• I was tricked into Wicca by someone I trusted, it started with the Angel circle. Then, there were some things I found like magic, spells, and etc. I realize it is everyones right to be what they see fit. I found out though that God doesn't want us to participate in these things. Also, in the Bible God says that he is the one and only true God. He says we are to worship only him, no other Gods. So, I left wicca. I have found the utmost respect for someone on here that is Pagan,no name mention. So, like I said it is everyones right to be what ever they chose to be. Thanks
    Anonymous

• OK, pagan is a generic term and wicca is a specific path.

For instance:
    One can be Christian and be Baptist
    Onc can be Christian and be Catholic

Are they the same? No. Do they have something in common? Yes!

One can be pagan and be wiccan
    One can be pagan and be Hindu
    One can be pagan and be Asatru

Asatru, wiccans and Hindus are nowhere near the same, but they all are pagan (non-Abrahamic).
    LeftBrainy

Answer by LeftBrainy at 11:18 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• I am pagan, but I am not Wiccan. Wiccan is a branch of paganism. There are many different types of paganism, like there are many different branches of Christianity.
    IrishDruidMama

Answer by IrishDruidMama at 12:10 AM on Oct. 13, 2008

• The exact definition of those words will depend on which Pagan or Wiccan you are talking to. Pagan generally refers to a group of religions that are polytheistic, pantheistic, nature-based, and/or based on a pre-Christian religion. Some prefer to use "neo-Pagan" to differentiate it from other definitions of the word pagan. Wicca is a specific form of Paganism (like Methodist is a specific form of Christianity). It is characterized primarily by its basis in the pre-Christian religions of England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales, and by belief in a Goddess (sometimes in addition to a God, but not always).
    jessradtke

Answer by jessradtke at 9:25 PM on Oct. 13, 2008

• And of course you have to distinguish between "Wicca" and "wicca". Because, believe me, people who practice Wicca will.Traditional (gardnerian, alexandrian, etc) Wicca is far more structured and exclusive. Garden variety wicca, is more generalized and all inclusive.
    cedailey

Answer by cedailey at 6:18 PM on Oct. 14, 2008