Work Abuse

I don't have the worst job in the world. But I've had to deal with people calling in and being on shift by myself. Never was too big of a deal, but now that I'm 31 weeks, it's quite trying. I came home in tears today because there was no one to call in, (even just to cover a half an hour so I could eat/sit down). I'm in so much pain. I think I'm going to contact the labor board of KY, to see if there's anything I can do. I want out of my job anyway, but right now I need the money and don't have many options. If I quit, because of the unacceptable circumstances, do I remotely qualify for unemployment? I need help, I'm tired of taking shit. This is the fourth time in a month that I've been by myself and not been able to sit down/drink or eat for eight hours. Advice??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:47 PM on Oct. 12, 2008 in Pregnancy

• im sorry honey they cant do that by law every 8 hour shift gets a 30 min break at least call someone do something i am so sorry honey
    iloveyall2008

Answer by iloveyall2008 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• BY LAW you should get at least two fifteen minute breaks and a thirty minute lunch break if you work an eight hour shift. You really should contact the labor board and complain, your situation is bad enough on its own, and you'll win major brownie points for being pregnant. The labor board doesn't dick around with the rights of pregnant women.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 8:53 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Each state has different laws for break requirements, so you may not be able to do anything about that. Check your state's labor laws. What you can do is get your doctor to write you a note saying it is medically necessary for you to sit and eat every 4 hours. Also, check your company's employee handbook on guidelines for breaks. If it has a policy stating that you get 30 minutes while working an 8 hour shift, contact the corporate human resources department. I've been there, I feel for you!

chillemi78

Answer by chillemi78 at 9:28 PM on Oct. 12, 2008

• Where I was having problems before, I did already get the doc note saying that I had to sit for a bit every three hours just to rest for a minute or eat/drink. Our corportate mandates that for every five hours we get one paid 15 and one non paid 30 minute break. I don't even get to sit down on days like today though....so lame....:( *sniff
    Anonymous

• that sux! I'm a medical biller and my job isn't the worst either but the manager is ALWAYS on my @$$ about doctor appointments (threatening that I will lose my job beacuse I see the doctor like 2times a month plus I leave like one hour early to see the doctor isnt' like i'm gone all day) and junk like that. It sux that people who own or run companies can't cut us some slack. It's not like we're asking for special treatment, well not exactly. Just a few moments to take a breather and not be over loaded with work. I"m working three accounts and helping with two others. I'm the only one doing that everyone else has their accounts and only work on their stuff. So I know how you feel with the stress and all that. Call around and see if there's anything that might help. Unless you talk to your HR person, but even then there's not guarantee things will change. :( i'm sorry.
    norma_lee

Answer by norma_lee at 10:40 PM on Oct. 12, 2008